A short ride to obesity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
AUSTRALIAN parents seem intent on creating a race of obese and legless children, if studies by Deakin University researchers are anything to go by.
A series of papers published in academic journals by staff at Deakin's school of exercise and nutrition sciences present a dismal picture of increasing inactivity among the young and greater parental restrictions on their freedom of movement.
Following yesterday's revelations in Education Age that the longer children stay at school the less active they become during recess and lunchtime, the latest study shows that most Victorian children only ever see their neighbourhoods through car windows.
Whether being driven to school or to the shops, many city and country kids are not allowed to experience the world outside home by themselves ? this at a time when childhood obesity rates are sharply rising.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/education/a-short-ride-to-obesity-20121029-28f3i.html

There are quite a few children who walk to school around here, and it's a fair hike up a very steep hill for a lot of them. However, I did notice this morning (and have done in the past) that because the kids are on holiday there was far less traffic on the roads when I went for my run, so clearly a lot of the congestion is directly or indirectly caused by parents chauffering thier kids to school.

I should also mention that Victoria state made it compulsory for cyclists of all ages to wear helmets since 1990.
While I agree it's best if children wear helmets when cycling, the law doesn't encourage quick & easy use of bikes for short journeys. In fact, cycling rates have decreased since the law came into effect.
Reference: http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1108.html

As I'm doing morning and bedtime care for a local disabled woman this week, I'm quite glad it's half term, as I cycle home about 9am past a primary school, which seems to attract some spectacularly stupid road use by parents, whether in cars, on bikes or on foot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back