A research study on Chronic Diabetes and it's impact on Quality of Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chigozirim

Relationship to Diabetes
HCP/Researcher
I am Chigozirim Emebo, an Msc student of Sheffield Hallam University. I am conducting a study titled "Chronic Diabetes and its impact on Quality of Life: A comparative study of Nigerian and UK patients" as a fulfillment of the requirements for the award of master's degree in Health Psychology. The study seeks to provide a better understanding of the relationship between diabetes and quality of life. The study has been approved by the Research and Ethics Committee of the department. I would like to invite patients who have been diagnosed with diabetes for at least 3 years and live in the UK to take part in the online survey (up to 15 minutes). The information collected from the participants will be used strictly for this research purpose and will be treated with utmost confidentiality. Attached below is a link to the online study. I will greatly appreciate your help. This study has been approved by @ Cherrelle DUK.

Online questionnaire - https://shusls.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5hXbeydHxRprRLo

Thanks for your time!

Hi Chigozirim,

When I follow your link above I find explanatory text but no link to a survey. Is the idea to email you regarding participation?

John

Hi Chigozirim,

When I follow your link above I find explanatory text but no link to a survey. Is the idea to email you regarding participation?

John
Hi John,
Thanks for your interest in taking part in the study. Below the explanatory text (Information Sheet) is a button on the right hand side, when you click on the 'next button' it would take you to the next page. I hope this helps. Thanks once again for your time!

Chigozirim

I am Chigozirim Emebo, an Msc student of Sheffield Hallam University. I am conducting a study titled "Chronic Diabetes and its impact on Quality of Life: A comparative study of Nigerian and UK patients" as a fulfillment of the requirements for the award of master's degree in Health Psychology. The study seeks to provide a better understanding of the relationship between diabetes and quality of life. The study has been approved by the Research and Ethics Committee of the department. I would like to invite patients who have been diagnosed with diabetes for at least 3 years and live in the UK to take part in the online survey (up to 15 minutes). The information collected from the participants will be used strictly for this research purpose and will be treated with utmost confidentiality. Attached below is a link to the online study. I will greatly appreciate your help. This study has been approved by @ Cherrelle DUK.

Online questionnaire - https://shusls.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5hXbeydHxRprRLo

Thanks for your time!
Hi Chigozirim,

By "Chronic", I take it you just mean long lasting? For example Type 1 or Type 2?

It's effects on quality of life are partly dependent on correct early diagnoses, which some haven't been fortunate to have had. Self management which is based on training, diet and application of are also important factors effecting quality of life.

Hi John,
Thanks for your interest in taking part in the study. Below the explanatory text (Information Sheet) is a button on the right hand side, when you click on the 'next button' it would take you to the next page. I hope this helps. Thanks once again for your time!

Chigozirim
Thanks, it is a bit small on my iPad screen & I’d missed it

What is the illness duration?
Diabetes is a condition not an illness

Hi Chigozirim,

By "Chronic", I take it you just mean long lasting? For example Type 1 or Type 2?

It's effects on quality of life are partly dependent on correct early diagnoses, which some haven't been fortunate to have had. Self management which is based on training, diet and application of are also important factors effecting quality of life.

Done. I suspect it won't be what you expect though :rofl:
Thank you so much ❤

Hi Chigozirim,

Thank you

Thanks for pointing that out, I am open to suggestions.
How about How Diabetes Changes Lives?
I think if this is a research study it is important not to make assumptions before you even collect the data. You may have an idea about how it is likely to turn out but I don't think it is good practice to load the questions and the title if you can avoid doing so - otherwise you run the risk of putting off people who can feel their answers will be not the ones you are searching for.
For example I got the distinct impression you are 100% convinced that diabetes will only have negative impacts on a person's life and all the questions are already skewed in that way which means it is harder and therefore more unlikely to get positive impacts recorded as data - and in my case my diabetes diagnosis has almost entirely been a positive experience and led to many happy changes that have far outweighed any negative ones.

How about How Diabetes Changes Lives?
I think if this is a research study it is important not to make assumptions before you even collect the data. You may have an idea about how it is likely to turn out but I don't think it is good practice to load the questions and the title if you can avoid doing so - otherwise you run the risk of putting off people who can feel their answers will be not the ones you are searching for.
For example I got the distinct impression you are 100% convinced that diabetes will only have negative impacts on a person's life and all the questions are already skewed in that way which means it is harder and therefore more unlikely to get positive impacts recorded as data - and in my case my diabetes diagnosis has almost entirely been a positive experience and led to many happy changes that have far outweighed any negative ones.
The research is a cross-cultural study with the main aim being to comparatively investigate the diabetes-dependent quality of life among patients living in the UK and Nigeria. Thanks for the recommendations and for taking time to explain things to me, I really do appreciate .

Done, though I have to say that apart from injecting insulin, which my body can’t produce, it has never interfered with work, and now retired, hasn’t hindered me at all. It’s simply a replacement therapy for something I need to live, just as sailors way back had to eat limes or oranges to get their Vit C to prevent scurvy, and death.

Done, though I have to say that apart from injecting insulin, which my body can’t produce, it has never interfered with work, and now retired, hasn’t hindered me at all. It’s simply a replacement therapy for something I need to live, just as sailors way back had to eat limes or oranges to get their Vit C to prevent scurvy, and death.
Noted! Thank you so much ❤

Thanks for your time!

Thanks for your time!
I intend to email the findings of the research to participants at the end of the research. Kindly send your email address to me, if you're interested. Thank you so much for taking part in the study. I really do appreciate ❤.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back