A quick update

Status
Not open for further replies.

joegatt87

Hi everyone

From my recent post on the Newbies board thought I'd give you an update

- Ordered and got the recommended reading (Type 1 diabetes in children, adolescents and young adults)- very easy to understand book, especially for someone like me who is approaching this from the outside (so to speak)
- Went for my health-care training today but the snow meant that the nurse couldn't make it. Instead of just turning round, mum put me through a crash course in symptoms K exhibits for hypo + hypers and we went over the basics of carb-counting, factoring, and insulin dosages ( inc what it means to get it wrong)
- then did my first blood test (well, two - one on mum,one on K) and that didn't seem so bad.
- finally did my own calcs for insulin post meal (mum checked them) and then with a very very shaky hand administered my first injection - I'd rather do it now when I don't have to rather than wait until my first one is one I have to do (if that makes sense).

So, not an expert, or even competent yet, but on the way to being there. Mum is also happy to have someone to call on in the case of emergency, which is good.

That's all for now - thanks for the encouragement and hope you all have a good week

Cheers
Joe

Sounds like a great day for you Joe must of been a relief to do your first test that should now mean you have a better idea of testing if and when you need to , mum having a good chat to you also is great. Really well done Joe your taking the bull by the horns and getting to know what you need to quickly.

Last edited:
Joe,
I think all parents should have a fairy godmother like you!

Your absolutely amazing going to all this trouble to be able to look after your god-daughter. I take my hat off to you and i am sure the childs mum will feel comfortable leaving the child with you in future. Well done! Keep us update with events and any other worries you may have.🙂Bev

brilliant joe what invaluable support you will be able to give Mum and god daughter !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back