A quick query...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddie99

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello all,

I was just wondering, having done my spreadsheets that I use to record my blood sugars I have noticed that pretty much all of my afternoon/evening readings are as a rule over 10 mmol/L. Is this indicative of the fact that I'm not that great at judging the amounts of novorapid I need with my midday meal (soon to be rectified - I'm off on a carb counting course this month) or that I could do with more levemir in the morning? I'm currently on 7 units of levemir in the morning.

Thanks,

Tom

Hello all,

I was just wondering, having done my spreadsheets that I use to record my blood sugars I have noticed that pretty much all of my afternoon/evening readings are as a rule over 10 mmol/L. Is this indicative of the fact that I'm not that great at judging the amounts of novorapid I need with my midday meal (soon to be rectified - I'm off on a carb counting course this month) or that I could do with more levemir in the morning? I'm currently on 7 units of levemir in the morning.

Thanks,

Tom

hey - firstly thanks for the add on msn (I lurk on appear offline quite a lot haha!)

secondly, I'd try upping both slightly but maybe at different times. At one day try upping your levemir by a couple of units and checking levels, second day try upping the novorapid by a couple of units 🙂

I think it depends on when your readings are high in relation to when you had lunch. If it was me, I would test three hours after lunch (since I know, for me, that pretty much all of my novorapid is gone by then), and then test maybe an hour and two hours after that, if possible.

If the three hours number is high, but stays fairly stable over the next couple of hours, then I'd say you need more novorapid with your lunch. If it goes up over the next couple of hours, then I think it would be your levemir that would need to increase (we were told to increase by ten percent).

Again, this is just what I would do to try and figure it out. It's great you're getting on a carb counting course - I think it definitely makes things easier! 🙂

Hi Tom,

Don't kick yourself too hard mate.

If I were you I would try and be braver with the lunchtime jab, and see if you get low.

Anyway the levemir jab I was told takes a few days to affect the results, so when you have decided about how good your lunchtime jab is, maybe give it a tweak too.

I had a similar issue a little while ago, are you sure you're not snacking around that time, on some nice hob nobs or similar??

Obviously speak to your dsn too!

Good luck woth your carb counting course, is it DAFNE?

My carb counting course is called SADIE. Yeah, I just don't like the idea of dropping too low so I don't give that much and have to correct later on as a result. I've had to correct twice already today.

I know what you mean.

I used to aim to be under 8 but never was, so I now aim for 5 when doing my carb counting or whatever I do! And my levels have been much better, with not many lows really.

I try to be under 10. It can get so very frustrating at times as you know. I have my good and bad days. My blood machine does averages and all are between nine and ten. Only just though and it's getting on my tits if I'm honest.

I try to be under 10. It can get so very frustrating at times as you know. I have my good and bad days. My blood machine does averages and all are between nine and ten. Only just though and it's getting on my tits if I'm honest.

Well try not to loose it!

Let's hope your course will give you some good pointers to slightly better control.

We will all always have good days and bad days, and sometimes the bad days are well, bad!

But hey chin up pal.

Tom, if you take your long-acting insulin in the morning, what are your 'fasting' levels in the morning, before breakfast? I was told if mine were over 8, I should increase the long-acting insulin. Otherwise, the suggestion for a check a couple fo hours after your lunch should tell you if you're taking enough fast-acting for that meal. Good luck with the course!

Hi Runner, I'm getting pretty good at getting my pre breakfast bloods below 10 mmol/L in the mornings now. So far this month I've only had one hypo before breakfast and only two above ten mmol/L. Today I increased my morning levemir to 9 units and had 22 of novorapid due to a big breakfast but my levels have been consistently at 13 mmol/L throughout the morning. I guess this is due to the way I woke up at 7 am did my morning levemir and a corrective dose for an 11.8 mmol/L and went back to sleep for another two hours. I reckon the high at 7am was caused by a slight hypo in the night probably due to a miscalculated novorapid dose in the evening. Looks like I might have to actually wake up at 7am and cut my chocolate spread from breakfast. This is a bit of a bugger managing diabetes.

You can say that again Tom! hope it sorts itself out,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back