A question for the ladies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Following on from another thread, Ellie suggested that my shifting basal patterns may be due to the monthly cycle. I have noticed that I am higher when I get PMT symptoms then insulin requirements drop during my period.

I just wondered what other ladies do? Two separate basal patterns? What days in the cycle do you find you need to change them over?

I?ve posted in the pump section as I use a pump, but any advice from MDIers also appreciated!!!

P.S. If this has been discussed at length elsewhere, can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks

Yes, I have pattern A and pattern B set up. Pattern A is for from start of period till mid-cycle (ovulation). Pattern B from ovulation to start of period. Pattern B is typically 20% more insulin than pattern A, IIRC. Fortunately I can tell when I ovulate so just use that to switch the pattern over - though occasionally it takes me a day or two to realise quite why my BS are too low/high consistently :D

Nobody mentioned this requirement change to me, I noticed it myself when we were TTC our first child - when I raised it with the DSN, she reckoned it was quite common... 🙄

We've just been to clinic yesterday and we discussed this exact topic.
The consultant just said to put on a higher temp basal on for 1 week. But we have to rely on seeing higher readings, because Carol's cycle ( her being a teenager) is not consistent yet.

(Oh I hope Carol doesn't see this!!!! :-O )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back