A Question for anyone who used to take beta blockers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebstar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I used to take beta blockers (Atenonol) for high blood pressure (for about ten years). When I was diagnosed with Diabetes in June the doctor took me off them and put me on Rampiril, which he said was better for my kidneys. Within a couple of weeks I had lost weight and didn't have the slightly swollen ankles that I'd had. I wasn't massively overweight but had put on weight round the middle. He also put me on statins, although I told him I was surprised my cholesterol was up because I didn't have a particularly high fat diet. He said cholesterol didn't always go up because of a high fat diet but because of fat around your middle. I have read recently that beta blockers can cause or provoke type 2 diabetes and wonder if I wouldn't have got diabetes if I had not been on beta blockers. Has anyone else noticed a weight loss after coming off beta blockers because I would say that my diet is not a whole lot different to what it was other than eating less carbs through less potatoes and white bread (although I didn't eat massive amounts anyway). Just wondered if anyone has an opinion on this.

I was on Atenonol for a couple of years, and came off them about six months ago, Ramipril was also reduced to the minimum dose, again to protect my kidneys, not for blood pressure.

My blood pressure has only ever been marginal and now [effectively] off everything it is down on average to 118 over 78 which I am told is in good shape.

As for weight, it has dropped, but the reduction isn't due to coming off any particular medication. Of course my weight is ok, if only I was 6" taller 🙄

Sorry I can't be of much more use to you.

Gosh, that's me just leant something... Wikipedia 1, 1st year pharmacy textbook nil....
I was about to say i'd never heard of beta blockers causing diabetes, and i couldn't find anything in my BNF or pharmacy textbook, however wikipedia says otherwise and so do NICE.
"Beta-blockers are no longer recommended for first line therapy as the evidence suggests that they perform less well than other drugs, particularly in the elderly, and there is increasing evidence that the most frequently used beta-blockers at usual doses carry an unacceptable risk of provoking type 2 diabetes. "

However i don't think there's anyway of proving that Atenolol caused your diabetes, the above seems to suggest that it might hasten the onset but not so much cause the disease in somebody who hasn't got it and isn't going to get it.
One of the reasons you may have been taken off Atenolol when you were diagnosed is that we know that Atenolol can mask the signs of a hypo. I think it basically blocks the adrenaline receptors, and adrenaline is something you get a rise in when you go hypo, which is why some people get nervous or shakey. (I'm guessing, i haven't had one to date...)

I'm not sure if that's any help to you but it's taught me something

Rachel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back