A query...

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
No end to earning about D.

New query, does anyone know why my fasting glucose test gives the similar result to when I gave eaten a meal? Just curious.

New query, does anyone know why my fasting glucose test gives the similar result to when I gave eaten a meal?
Presuming this is a test early in the morning, it'll likely be some variant of the dawn phenomenon. The rise happens because of stress hormones that are released (like cortisol) which triggers release of glucose from the liver. Which is all helpful for those with a fully working pancreas which will release insulin to help the muscles use the glucose so giving a bit of a boost in the early morning (even before coffee). Less good for us, of course.

This paper is interesting:

The metabolism is controlled by various 'clocks' linked to the circadian rhythm. These control insulin sensitivity in the liver (Which controls when the liver stores glucose and stops making it), sensitivity in the muscles, and beta cell sensitivity and also the amount of insulin released.

In people with T2D these rhythms are broken and this may be the cause of high fasting levels in the morning.

(It's been long known that people in jobs that disrupt the normal rhythm are at higher risk of developing T2D.)

Back