A new simple C-peptide blood test BBC Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kopiert

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2

Scotland will become the first country in the world to use the simple C-peptide blood test.
The test finds out how much insulin a patient's body is producing.
A pilot by NHS Lothian allowed people who had been taking insulin for years to stop or reduce the treatment. The test will be available from clinics from 1 November.
The test improves the accuracy of diagnosing Type 1 diabetes. It can distinguish whether a patient has Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes.

Interesting. Sorry if this has already been posted

This is amazing hope it is rolled out soon it will help so many people thank you for posting

I'm in Scotland and have never had a C-Peptide test lol, I only had a GAD test performed xx

I'm in Scotland and have never had a C-Peptide test lol, I only had a GAD test performed xx
You had a GAD?
You were lucky. In my day, all we had was ... (To be read in a Yorkshire accent).

Seriously, I had no tests to prove the type of diabetes. It was guesswork based on my weight.

Interesting that the article focuses on T1s taking insulin unnecessarily and does not mention misdiagnosed t2s.

I’d love to have a c peptide, would be really interesting and helpful to know. It doesn’t say how the test is easier though, is it an instant one or something?

@helli I was only diagnosed just under 5 years ago though lol, also not sure how your diagnosis was made but I was admitted to hospital so had the GAD done while I was in for the night but it was assumed Type 1 by the doctor that saw me at the health centre in the afternoon as I had ketones and was skinny xx

Interesting that the article focuses on T1s taking insulin unnecessarily and does not mention misdiagnosed t2s
I wondered if that was the usual ill informed reporting, a lot of non-diabetics think that injecting insulin must be so horrible that anyone would be glad to stop, so think that must be the headline grabber. The article quotes lower down that it is to help distinguish between Type 1 and Type 2, so presumably it’s intended to work the other way round as well. I could certainly have done with it, I did have a GAD, eventually, when I got referred to hospital, but my GP had assumed Type 2 because of my age.

@Kaylz my diagnosis was nearly 20 years ago.
I had the classic symptoms -weight loss, tiredness, weeing, thrush, ...
The first time I visited a doc, I was diagnosed with a UTI and given antibiotics.
Two weeks later, I had complete the antibiotics but the symptoms had not changed so I saw a different doc who diagnosed diabetes and booked an appointment for me at the diabetes clinic the next day. At that time she said, "given how slim you are, you must have type 1". And that is how I have been treated ever since.
Thankfully, I did not end up in hospital. Looking back, my symptoms were building over the previous 4 months but slowly - I think my honeymoon period lasted about 8 years.

The diabetes test was a urine test. I think they took bloods for hba1c but the clinic wasn't interested in that. I think they did a finger prick test but I don't remember the number. There were no other tests.

I had a C-peptide test a few months after diagnosis - I’m deffo T1 LOL. :D

@Kaylz my diagnosis was nearly 20 years ago.
I had the classic symptoms -weight loss, tiredness, weeing, thrush, ...
The first time I visited a doc, I was diagnosed with a UTI and given antibiotics.
Two weeks later, I had complete the antibiotics but the symptoms had not changed so I saw a different doc who diagnosed diabetes and booked an appointment for me at the diabetes clinic the next day. At that time she said, "given how slim you are, you must have type 1". And that is how I have been treated ever since.
Thankfully, I did not end up in hospital. Looking back, my symptoms were building over the previous 4 months but slowly - I think my honeymoon period lasted about 8 years.

The diabetes test was a urine test. I think they took bloods for hba1c but the clinic wasn't interested in that. I think they did a finger prick test but I don't remember the number. There were no other tests.
We may moan today about how we are diagnosed and advised, but we have come a long way!

Gosh! I feel positively privileged! I got both C-peptide and GAD.... eventually! It would be interesting to know just how much insulin we still produce as Type 1s, if any, once the obvious honeymoon period is over, but I guess the important thing is for people like myself who were misdiagnosed as Type 2 to get better access to testing in order to be properly diagnosed.

I can't remember but is it the C-peptide or the GAD results which takes weeks to come back. And one of them, the blood sample has to be frozen as soon as it is taken and shipped off to the lab frozen which makes the logistics of the testing more difficult.

I find it odd that they suggest testing people with Type 1 in the article. If Type 1s produced enough insulin then we would hypo with the insulin we inject and our doses would have to be adjusted down otherwise we would constantly be hypo. I don't see how a C-peptide test would tell us Type 1s anything helpful and I can't see how the testing could reduce insulin usage in that respect.
I am guessing the journalist got mixed up. I do wonder if they are trying to identify Type 2s who produce plenty of insulin themselves but have significant insulin resistance and are therefore looking to tackle that insulin resistance through other means with a view to reducing insulin usage in those Type 2s. We know here on the forum that some people have managed to come off insulin by following a low carb way of eating, so maybe it is a means of finding those people who would be suitable to try that.
The article itself just doesn't seem to make sense and I wonder if Professor Strachan despaired when he read it!

An older piece with more background: https://news.nhslothian.scot/Pages/20190307_PioneeringProjectShortlisted.aspx

As the article said, the point is to identify people who have been misdiagnosed as Type 1.
I wouldn't have guessed it was a large number of people, but ...

To date, the team has screened over 750 people with Type 1 Diabetes with C-peptide, and identified 11 individuals who no longer need insulin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back