A new pump without the usual pump benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Interesting article about the MODD1 insulin pump which has just been submitted to FDA for approval.
Usually, when I think about the benefits of having a pump it is the small doses and the ability to change the basal rate every 30 minutes. The smallest dose from this pump is 0.5u (the same as a pen) and you can have a day and night basal rate (just like injecting Levemir).
I think it is targeted more as a cheaper pump targeted at people with insulin resistance so needing bigger doses.

I think it is targeted more as a cheaper pump targeted at people with insulin resistance so needing bigger doses.
Looks like a cheap pump that's a small step up from MDI but only a small step. Having the boluses in multiples of 2u seems like a big limitation. I guess they've done it for simplicity and I guess they've got reasons to think it's adequate but it sounds a bit odd to me. I wonder if it's more aimed at people with Type 2 who're on MDI?

It’s a bit of a funny hybrid, in that it can deliver basal rates, but it only has two options. One 24 hour rate or one day and one night rate.​
It has an app, but you can only use it to set basal rates and observe pump status. Basal rates range from 0.5u to 4u per hour and step up in 0.1u increments. This is roughly the equivalent to basal insulin of 12u to 96u.​
If you want to deliver a bolus, you have to do it from the button on the pump, and you have to deliver boluses by pressing the button once for 2u and up to 10 times for 20u.​
You then press and hold the button to confirm delivery of the bolus. Boluses can also be cancelled mid-delivery.​
There’s also the possibility to pause basal insulin for 30 mins. When you choose to suspend, that’s it. It’s suspended for 30 minutes. There’s no override.​

How weird! It looks like it’s aimed at Type 2s. I did wonder if it could also be used by people who, for various reasons, struggle with injections? A carer could attach the pump and sort the basal rate, then all the user has to do is count button presses to bolus.

I did wonder if it could also be used by people who, for various reasons, struggle with injections?
Which isn't a crazy idea: I could imagine that being successful. I do wonder if the 2u steps would be an issue, but I guess you could make do (just by eating a bit more if necessary).

If I was offered this whilst I don’t qualify for an actual pump I’d certainly take it. As it uses fast acting insulin I assume it’s still some of the same benefits of smaller doses, suspending basal, easier bolusing when out etc than MDI

Obviously what I’d really like is a pump with linked sensor but being realistic here, type 2s are never getting those.

As it uses fast acting insulin I assume it’s still some of the same benefits of smaller doses, suspending basal, easier bolusing when out etc than MDI
Looks like it. You can only suspend the basal for 30 minutes and you can only bolus in multiples of 2u. But that feels like it could be useful enough for many people.

Well - of course the FDA are in the USA not UK so until we hear whether it gets looked at here too, defo not any chance of getting one for anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back