A new oven

Docb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Finally decided to replace an old (and useless) MFI diplomat double oven with something you can actually cook things in and decided on a modern single oven near the top of the Which recommendation list.

No problem, it turned up a day early. Again no problem, I had removed the old oven - could not lift it out in one, so took it to pieces in situ.
Then a bit of refurbishment of the kitchen unit to add a shelf for the microwave and tidy up the "bits you cannot see" left by the MFI kitchen fitter. No, I did not buy a kitchen from MFI, it was in the house when we moved here. Oven goes in, all connected up, so far so good.

Decide to try and make it work. A 10 year old would no doubt have got to grips with the control knob in no time at all but in conjunction with a very poor instruction book I eventually got it to a point where pressing the go button should fire it up but all I got was a message saying "door". Nowhere could I find in the manual or online what this message meant. Filled out an enquiry form on line. Still waiting for a reply. In the meantime I started thinking and twigged the "door" message might have something to do with the door. Eventually worked out that the oven should have a switch which detects when the door is closed but on this oven all there was, where the button to operate the switch should be, was a hole. No switch so conclude that the oven thinks the door is open even when it is closed and so it will not fire up.

What to do....

Get on Amazon web site. Only option seems to be to send it back and eventually get a refund. Presumably I then order another oven. Not much good if I want to cook something in the meantime. I just want a replacement oven with the switch in place.

So, get on the AO website - AO being the supplier selling through Amazon. Usual modern sales oriented web site but a bit obscure when it comes to sorting out problems like mine. Sent off an enquiry (mentioned above). Have yet to receive an answer, and I wonder if I ever will.

Get onto manufacturers web site. The give a customer service number but that just plays rubbish music.

Whilst waiting for all that technology to work and not being confident that it will without a lot of effort and frustration on my part, I get my torch out, peer in the hole, poke about with a probe and convince myself that the switch was there but had come adrift. A bit of inspection suggested that the top cover could be taken off by removing four screws. So removed it and yes, there was the switch lying in a channel. A bit of inspection showed that it should not be lying loose but clipped into a thingy on the front of the cooker so that the plunger on the switch would poke out and be activated when the door was closed. Put it all together properly, refit top cover, put oven back in unit, switch it on and away the oven goes. Result in the time I would be waiting for a phone line to be answered by somebody reading from a script.

The moral of the story is that when something does not work, a bit of common sense and a screwdriver can fix it faster and with less stress than all the fancy technology, interweb, website forms and phone line queues.

One up for the wrinklys who had to survive before the interweb came and messed things up.

Old school ways are best, old fella was engineer & think I get a bit of his mindset from him, things were always fixable much to mothers despair sometimes.

These appliances now are cheaply built & designed to be thrown away despite what manufacturers say, some are better than others for example Bosch, we try to buy Bosch when funds allow.

Anyway pleased you got oven to work @Docb

Reminds me of the good old days when we had a gas cooker. One Saturday it was baking a cake when the oven door opened of its own accord and aimed a cloud of flame across the kitchen aimed at my wife. No 'interweb' then, so I went round to the gas showroom to get some action. On the Monday a fitter arrived and eventually attached an orange tag to the door saying, 'DO NOT USE'.

Nothing happened for week or two so I phoned the showroom. 'Does it have a tag on it?'. 'Yes'. 'What color?'. 'Orange'. 'You will have to phone Lincoln'.

The conversation with Lincoln was much the same. 'Does it have a tag on it?'. 'Yes'. 'What color?'. 'Orange'. 'Not red?'. 'No, orange.' 'We don't have a procedure for an orange tag, it's not written yet'. I went round to the showroom again!

Plus ça change.

Gas is a different matter altogether @JITR.

I used to run a fuel cell laboratory where everything ran on hydrogen and we knew full well that one bit of ham-fistedness with the gas system could have destroyed the place and all within it (including me). Needless to say, I have a quiet chuckle when I hear green people talking about the "hydrogen" economy. They ought to try and write the safety case for it. Took me a year to write the one for our lab and this was in an industry who used a lot of hydrogen. Goodness knows how long it would take to write a safety case for using it everywhere.

Leave gas to the pros......

I think the presumption is that everything is better online or simplified and the younger generation are used to this. We have just bought a new washing machine, old ones was 20+ years and sounded like a 747 taking off. Anyway, got shown how to use it, I been married for 50 years next month so washing is not new, and off chappie went. Tried to find the instruction book........it's two pages stapled together!!!!!! I had kept the old one which was actually worth reading ...........nothing more online than what I had. Sometimes the old ways are best. It's nice and quiet........

I'd just like to say that one thing Amazon s excellent for are returns, including those for items they don't stock, but are from 3rd party suppliers, like I understand your situation to be.

A couple of years ago, we bought a pressure washer from them. It arrived with a fitting missing, meaning it couldn't be used (a variation on your situation, I reckon. I filled out the contact form to be told, almost immediately they would issue a refund, with no need to send the pressure washer back. The money was on our Amazon account within the hour. I then reordered the same unit, which was fine, so we have plenty of spares.

If you have something you need to return to them, pop along to the PO, who scan the return QR code and give a proof of posting, and refund issued within a couple of hours.

Hopefully, you'll have many years of ovenary without issue.

I'm surprised at AO, We've had a lot of stuff from them and service has always been superb, including the delivery men.

Still waiting for a reply. In the meantime I started thinking and twigged the "door" message might have something to do with the door.

Genuine LOL for me for that one. thsnks @Docb

And glad you found the switch and got it refixed so speedily.

Hats off to you and your mighty screwdriver

1726215308904.gif

Many of the instruction books are just pictures with no words, all the words are for the safety instructions in 20 languages.
We still haven't figured all the nuances of our new oven. The most annoying thing is the dials have only a self coloured line to indicate position which is impossible to see.

To complete the story....

Eventually got an e-mail from somebody (or a bot) at the oven makers suggesting that I had not shut the door and that was why the oven was not working. Sent an e-mail back, explaining that I am not so stupid that I had not considered that, told them what the problem was, I had fixed it, and recommended they log what might be a generic fault in case it happens to somebody else. Also suggested they list all the error messages on the manual that came with the oven and on their website.

Got a surprising e-mail back. No, it did not castigate me for taking the back off the oven, threatening me with hell and damnation if I ever tried to make a warranty claim, it thanked me for my feedback and effectively wished there were more people who fixed simple things themselves rather than endlessly complaining to all and sundry and expecting everything to be fixed instantly by somebody else presumably by magic.

The oven, based on what I have done so far, works brilliantly.....once you have figured out how the control knob works.

Back