A month on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_G

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Been a month since i was diagnosed and had my first monthly checkup with the DN today!

Smiling 🙂 she looked at my level diary and said i had been doing really well with my diet and sugars and said she was really impressed!! :D:D

Also told her i had not been doing the doses the dr said and have been carb couting by myself and she didn't mind atall said its really good that im taking control, infact im going to be put on a carb counting course in about 6 months time yay!

Also asked her about splitting my levemir dose in the evening so it lasts longer ans she said it was fine, but i need some advice from you good people about how to do this, i take 20 units so should i do 10 before i go to bed and 10 in the morning or do i have to leave a certain amount of time before doses? also the time i go to bed varies!

Im just so happy smiling for the first time in ages feels good and i feel like im getting some control back in my life...just thought i would share 🙂

Thanksxx

Hi DG well done that sounds so positive, it is always nice to take back the control over your diabetes hun keep up the good work it is really paying off

Been a month since i was diagnosed and had my first monthly checkup with the DN today!

Smiling 🙂 she looked at my level diary and said i had been doing really well with my diet and sugars and said she was really impressed!!

Also told her i had not been doing the doses the dr said and have been carb couting by myself and she didn't mind atall said its really good that im taking control, infact im going to be put on a carb counting course in about 6 months time yay!

Also asked her about splitting my levemir dose in the evening so it lasts longer ans she said it was fine, but i need some advice from you good people about how to do this, i take 20 units so should i do 10 before i go to bed and 10 in the morning or do i have to leave a certain amount of time before doses? also the time i go to bed varies!

Im just so happy smiling for the first time in ages feels good and i feel like im getting some control back in my life...just thought i would share 🙂

Thanksxx

Wooopeeee! Thats great news - well done! Sounds like you have impressed your team. Great news you will be doing a course too.

To be honest your DSN should have advised you how to split your levemir.😱

We ended up splitting Alex's levemir when he was on MDI as it never lasted 24 hours.

From memory - we started with a 50/50 split - he was on 10 units in a 24 hour period. HOWEVER, it soon became apparent that he needed more for the overnight basals than he did for daytime. The reason for this was due to the Dawn Phenomenon sending his levels high for waking. So we tweaked things around by half a unit at a time and ended up with 7 for overnight and 3 for daytime.

You could start by doing the 50/50 split and injecting at say 10pm at night and 10am in the morning for example. After 3 days of doing this you will know if you need to increase one and or decrease the other etc..It takes a few days to see a pattern. If you want to post your levels for waking and daytime etc I am sure we can all help you to tweak it so you get good levels. Things wont change straight away - so give yourself time.🙂Bev

Smiling 🙂 she looked at my level diary and said i had been doing really well with my diet and sugars and said she was really impressed!! :D:D

Thanksxx

Dear DG,

Sounds great - well done.

Warmest Regards Dodger

Thanks guys its good to be smiling again 🙂

and thanks Bev for the advice im gonna try it starting next week with the 50/50

xx

Your results are realy imprssive. With numbers like that anyone would be happy and smiling. Good luck with splitting the insulin

I take 10 units of levemir just before bed and another 10 units mid morning(ish)

Well done dg, That some impressive stuff 🙂

Hello,

Glad you've got some good control, let us know how the splitting goes, and from what has been said on hear about courses, you've done the right thing to get on one soon as!

Keep on smiling 🙂

Rossi

That's great, well done on your progress so far. I changed to Levemir lately and I take similar levels to Bev's son, 6.5 at dinner and 3 in the monring. I take them 12 hours apart, and I started with 5 and 5 then gradually upped the dinner dose and lowered the morning one til I got to the doses I'm on now. Just a thought (although I'm sure you have it covered!), remember to carry extra sweets and snacks with you while you're trying out these split doses in case you have more hypos than normal due to overlapping doses or not getting the split right. I had 3 hypos the first morning when I took 5 units!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back