A Little Running Goes a Long Way: Mortality Benefit at Just Six Miles per Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just five to 10 minutes of daily running, even performed at very slow speeds, can significantly lower an individual's risk of all-cause and cardiovascular mortality, according to the results of a new study[1].

Compared with those who didn't run, investigators observed a significantly reduced risk of mortality among those who ran less than six miles per week, among those who ran slower than six miles per hour, and among those who ran just one to two times per week.

"This is very good news because one of the biggest obstacles for exercise is time," Dr Carl 'Chip' Lavie (Ochsner Medical Center, New Orleans, LA), one of the investigators, told heartwire . "What people tell me all the time is that they just don't have time to exercise.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/828990

Well it took me 26 mins to run 3k on a treadmill yesterday. - I feel a bit happier about this now after reading - thanks Alan.

I intend to do this every other day and one long outdoor run (around 7k) each week.😱

Well it took me 26 mins to run 3k on a treadmill yesterday. - I feel a bit happier about this now after reading - thanks Alan.

I intend to do this every other day and one long outdoor run (around 7k) each week.😱

Good for you Lucy! 🙂

Good for you Lucy! 🙂

My pedometer says I walked 3.5km today. I need to find another 0.5km before going to bed.
4km every day doing things I need to do is not as difficult as I thought it would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back