A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just a bit of a rant... so feel free toignore. I went for my retinal screening in March and it was fine. I had my eyes tested in October which included a photo. She spotted a small bleed, oh that is a concern why didn't your diabetic screening pick it up? I said well may be it is just a bleed that occurs when you sneeze. Oh no you are diabetic ergo it is connected. Come back in 3 months and I will monitor it. I returned today and whoo the bleed had gone.
My dentist who is wonderful comments that sometimes my gums bleed a bit which can occur with diabetes ( of which I am aware) but it never bleeds when I brush my teeth only when she is in full scrape mode

I appreciate their concern but really not everything is diabetic related. Sometimes things happen completely unrelated to diabetes.

I feel better now.

If the optician had said “you have a bleed but it’s probably one that happens when you sneeze no need to monitor it just come back in a year as normal” then it turned out to be something dangerous, I’ll bet you’d be criticising them for not taking diabetes seriously enough! Complications of diabetes can be severe if not monitored closely enough, so it’s important to take them seriously, extra monitoring when they find an issue is a sign of a good optician in my view.

I appreciate their concern but really not everything is diabetic related. Sometimes things happen completely unrelated to diabetes.
I once told a GP many years ago that there was no such condition in the medical dictionary called it's your diabetes 🙂
I never heard that comment again for the 17 years I had the privilege of having him as a GP.

I had a retinal bleed picked up by the optician. Eye screening at hospital monitored it. Last screening it had gone away. So i was glad the diabetes was screened and picked up and monitored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back