a lighter moment...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiv

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
"Johnny is a type 1 diabetic who tests his blood sugar at 6pm and discovers that he is 240. He had eaten 3 slices of Round Table Pizza at 5PM (when his BG was 118), which had 72 grams of carbohydrates and 30 grams of protein. He had already taken 4 units of Humalog at 4:45 PM, and his normal insulin to carb ratio is 1/13. Since the pizza has a lot of fat, Johnny expects that it will take about 3 hours for the pizza to finish digesting.

Taking into account that his meter has a 20 percent margin of error, the food label has a 20 percent margin or error, his insulin dose at 5PM could have been off by as much as 39 percent, and now that his blood glucose level is up at240 mg/dl, his correction ratio could be off by as much as 30 percent.

The question: How much beer will Johnny need to drink to forget that he has diabetes? Round your answer to the nearest six pack."

from Jim Huck's blog

(Vicsetter, this is what i feebly attempted to quote the other day!)

Where's the 'Like' button - ah sorry, wrong website :D

That is genius though - shows exactly how hard it is for us to get it right, given the margins of error and the fact we're trying to guess-timate to the nearest 10g of carbs!

P.S 240mg/dl = 13.3mmol/L and 118mg/dl = 6.5mmol/L, I think 'six pack' is a universal measurement of beer 😉

NiVZ

What's beer? How does it equate to bottles odf wine?

The answer is always 42.

Well found Shiv, i was following the other post the other night and pleased you have posted this...it is great 🙂

Bernie xx

"Johnny is a type 1 diabetic who tests his blood sugar at 6pm and discovers that he is 240. He had eaten 3 slices of Round Table Pizza at 5PM (when his BG was 118), which had 72 grams of carbohydrates and 30 grams of protein. He had already taken 4 units of Humalog at 4:45 PM, and his normal insulin to carb ratio is 1/13. Since the pizza has a lot of fat, Johnny expects that it will take about 3 hours for the pizza to finish digesting.

Taking into account that his meter has a 20 percent margin of error, the food label has a 20 percent margin or error, his insulin dose at 5PM could have been off by as much as 39 percent, and now that his blood glucose level is up at240 mg/dl, his correction ratio could be off by as much as 30 percent.

The question: How much beer will Johnny need to drink to forget that he has diabetes? Round your answer to the nearest six pack."

from Jim Huck's blog

(Vicsetter, this is what i feebly attempted to quote the other day!)

I needed that good hearty chuckle! :D Thanks Shiv, you dont know what that did for me! x

You've been reading the Hitchikers Guide to the galaxy Vic?

Me, never, Unseen Academicals me, can't seem to find my Going Postal which I wanted to re-read before it appeared on Sky1 at 6pm on 30thMay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back