A light hated rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
So offen nurtonal labels per 100gs while some stuff that makes senses for another things for a pack of basicts for example you can easily per biscuit it would make things so much easier when working things out. Even more annoying when it's packet of sweets when I'm looking to stock up on hypo treatment I mean I'm not exactly going to be wighing them and doing the maths then

Even more annoying when it's packet of sweets when I'm looking to stock up on hypo treatment I mean I'm not exactly going to be wighing them and doing the maths then
That is what most of us did until we knew what our chosen treatment worked out at. Ie 1 JB is about 5g. I have tried other things but I find it is easiest and safest to stick to JBs and keep Dextrose tablets for really bad hypos or night time ones......

I went "off piste" a couple of weeks ago and bought a bag of liquorice allsorts when I ran out of hypo treatments on a walk. The shop I popped into had various options including JBs and fruit pastilles and I was tempted to try something different. I have a mentality with my JBs that they are medication and I know how many I need for any give situation and I am never tempted to eat more than I need. Whilst the allsorts are almost certain to be roughly similar at 5g per sweet, being a similar size and weight, the novelty of eating something different was too much for me and I wanted to eat the whole packet! I can keep JBs in the house/my bag/pockets etc and never ever be tempted to eat one unless I am hypo, in the same way as I would never take a paracetamol if i didn't need it, the LAs just kept tempting me to eat them over the next few days until the packet was empty and I had to keep injecting insulin for them. I won't be doing that experiment again. I will just stick to JBs.

As regards other foods, most packaging also gives carb values per unit or serving. So bread gives per slice and cakes and biscuits usually per item and breakfast cereals per recommended portion and will state how much that is. The vast majority of people don't eat just 1 jelly baby or 1 liquorice allsort and of course with LAs they will vary as some are larger than others or have a different composition. It doesn't have to be totally precise though within 1g carbs per sweet is reasonable so a guestimate is fine.

That is what most of us did until we knew what our chosen treatment worked out at. Ie 1 JB is about 5g. I have tried other things but I find it is easiest and safest to stick to JBs and keep Dextrose tablets for really bad hypos or night time ones......

I went "off piste" a couple of weeks ago and bought a bag of liquorice allsorts when I ran out of hypo treatments on a walk. The shop I popped into had various options including JBs and fruit pastilles and I was tempted to try something different. I have a mentality with my JBs that they are medication and I know how many I need for any give situation and I am never tempted to eat more than I need. Whilst the allsorts are almost certain to be roughly similar at 5g per sweet, being a similar size and weight, the novelty of eating something different was too much for me and I wanted to eat the whole packet! I can keep JBs in the house/my bag/pockets etc and never ever be tempted to eat one unless I am hypo, in the same way as I would never take a paracetamol if i didn't need it, the LAs just kept tempting me to eat them over the next few days until the packet was empty and I had to keep injecting insulin for them. I won't be doing that experiment again. I will just stick to JBs.

As regards other foods, most packaging also gives carb values per unit or serving. So bread gives per slice and cakes and biscuits usually per item and breakfast cereals per recommended portion and will state how much that is. The vast majority of people don't eat just 1 jelly baby or 1 liquorice allsort and of course with LAs they will vary as some are larger than others or have a different composition. It doesn't have to be totally precise though within 1g carbs per sweet is reasonable so a guestimate is fine.
You must see all different things to me. As your comment of most things saying per serving doesn't apply to a lot of things some do but wouldn't agree most. I seen petty of biscets for example that just say per 100g

Anyway it was just light-hearted it wasn't meant to be serious.

Anyway it was just light-hearted it wasn't meant to be serious.
I agree that while the intent of the labels is good they don't always work out well. (Vastly better than they used to be, though.)

What annoys me is when they give a "per portion" value and then don't give any indication of what a portion is. Or when they give a per 100g value but don't (that I can see) give the mass of the packet (or anything else useful). Very annoying, since I don't always have scales with me (I have a nice small one but it's slightly too heavy to carry everywhere).

You don't weigh them when you're hypo you weigh them in advance and then you know what the portion size is for when you're hypo.

I shot myself in the foot once, our local garden centre did prewrapped chocolate brownies, which gave you the Carbs per 100g, as @Bruce Stephens said, but didn’t tell you how much one brownie weighed. I wrote and complained, and had an anodyne response, then next time I went in…they’d discontinued selling them.:(

I also don't tend to eat sweets if I'm not hypo ot bending that way anymore what ever the sweets are(well unless they in a dersert or chocolate bar which I do eat.
I agree that while the intent of the labels is good they don't always work out well. (Vastly better than they used to be, though.)

What annoys me is when they give a "per portion" value and then don't give any indication of what a portion is. Or when they give a per 100g value but don't (that I can see) give the mass of the packet (or anything else useful). Very annoying, since I don't always have scales with me (I have a nice small one but it's slightly too heavy to carry everywhere).
Yes that is verry anoying.

I shot myself in the foot once, our local garden centre did prewrapped chocolate brownies, which gave you the Carbs per 100g, as @Bruce Stephens said, but didn’t tell you how much one brownie weighed. I wrote and complained, and had an anodyne response, then next time I went in…they’d discontinued selling them.:(
Probably just a convidedennce?

My guess is there's some regulatory issue where they aren't allowed to give the weight of things that vary by too much. (Or maybe if they do give a weight, the customer's allowed to complain if there's is too light.)

But it's still very annoying. I'd like an approximate weight, and I'm fine if they give error bars. (95% CI 50-70g or something.)

My guess is there's some regulatory issue where they aren't allowed to give the weight of things that vary by too much. (Or maybe if they do give a weight, the customer's allowed to complain if there's is too light.)

But it's still very annoying. I'd like an approximate weight, and I'm fine if they give error bars. (95% CI 50-70g or something.)
But then what's packets of things I see do say per average brownie etc so I don't think it's a egerrrys. Greggs don't have stif even on there packeted stuff but for some reason netracheck seems to know what's in there stuff not that I'm complaining.

places like gregs etc post online what their stuff comes in at nutrition wise. A few places do but its not totally handy when out and about and dont have a data plan.
If you ask they could probably tell you in store but coffee shops who bake their own cant tell you usually.
I was in the butchers a while back and asked the carbs in some sausages and all they could say was they could tell me whats in them and work it out from there. 🙄

places like gregs etc post online what their stuff comes in at nutrition wise. A few places do but its not totally handy when out and about and dont have a data plan.
If you ask they could probably tell you in store but coffee shops who bake their own cant tell you usually.
I was in the butchers a while back and asked the carbs in some sausages and all they could say was they could tell me whats in them and work it out from there. 🙄
I tend to use netracheck for an average idea of things. My point was even on there packet swanwhichs it doesn't tell you.

But then what's packets of things I see do say per average brownie etc so I don't think it's a egerrrys. Greggs don't have stif even on there packeted stuff but for some reason netracheck seems to know what's in there stuff not that I'm complaining.
Yeah, don't know. Maybe there's some difference in how things are being sold (in a cafe is different to in a packet in a shop, perhaps). Looking at a (now empty) packet of Sainsbury's 5 Double Chocolate Cookies (likely with some variation in weight but probably not too much) and that's got useful nutritional information (per cookie as well as per 100g) though they've stuck a much less useful sticker over the top which just gives energy information.

Yeah, don't know. Maybe there's some difference in how things are being sold (in a cafe is different to in a packet in a shop, perhaps). Looking at a (now empty) packet of Sainsbury's 5 Double Chocolate Cookies (likely with some variation in weight but probably not too much) and that's got useful nutritional information (per cookie as well as per 100g) though they've stuck a much less useful sticker over the top which just gives energy information.
Well now I want a cookie(for some reason it's not letting me add a laughing face

Last edited:
Cafe Nero have on thier website what thiet cakes are per average slice 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back