A kick up the backside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jules77

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Right so I have been diabetic since 2008 T2. Majority of this with poor control. I have suffered from anxiety, buried my head in the sand. I have damaged my body... neuropathy.. I need to get my life back and hope it's not too late. I have stopped drinking alcohol. I'm lying here in bed planning my healthier life style. No more white bread . No more crisps....eating at the right times....I am very active I walk around 20k steps a day....I just skip meals and then binge eat at night....I'm really hoping I can improve my health.....wish me luck

Right so I have been diabetic since 2008 T2. Majority of this with poor control. I have suffered from anxiety, buried my head in the sand. I have damaged my body... neuropathy.. I need to get my life back and hope it's not too late. I have stopped drinking alcohol. I'm lying here in bed planning my healthier life style. No more white bread . No more crisps....eating at the right times....I am very active I walk around 20k steps a day....I just skip meals and then binge eat at night....I'm really hoping I can improve my health.....wish me luck
It is good you have had a wake up call and are wanting to get on the right road. Having a plan of a dietary regime that you enjoy is key to keeping on track for the long term, whatever you adopt has to be a new way of eating for life.
There are still plenty of tasty foods you can eat, it does not have to be boring.
Have a look at this link which I found is very logical as to what foods are OK. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/product/freshwell-low-carb-manual/
By following the principals in the link I have a way of eating which is enjoyable and is my new normal.

A very positive approach, just don’t be too hard on yourself if you have bad days and like @Leadinglights I feel finding a routine and die that works for you, I follow low GI which work for me, others go very low carb but isn’t for everyone and can aggravate ketosis if on insulin but can be done if careful, I would be keen to try if I didn’t have other dietary requirements. I had bulimia and still have a diagnosis of binge eating/ non purging bulimia and found little changes slow and steady stock fast better for me, same with goals and there were and still are bad days but I now accept that and start a fresh each day, has made such a difference to how I cope with my eating, thinking of you and happy to chat if helps.

A positive attitude. Well done. It is never too late.

Small steps that you can stick to are often more helpful. You have a plan. Perhaps focus on one particular meal and get that as a new habit, and remember to acknowledge the small victories that you have.

Last edited:
I've been so good all week, no bread at all...meals of fish, wholegrain rice, salads...stir fry, mackerel with vegetables....I have been to the doctors and I have my bloods on the 14th of July I have been experiencing numbness on the left side a face the doctor has checked me over and he doesn't think it's anything to worry about he said it was nerve sensations although I am worried as my vision is blurry but I'm putting that down to the fact that my blood sugars have dropped and I am taking care of myself might be my body needs to adjust to the new sugar levels??

I am worried as my vision is blurry but I'm putting that down to the fact that my blood sugars have dropped and I am taking care of myself might be my body needs to adjust to the new sugar levels??
It is normal for blurry vision to happen as your body adjusts to lower bgs but see an optician if you’re worried. Just don’t buy expensive new glasses until your bgs have settled down

Good luck. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life and all that rubbish but it's true. Go for it. 🙂 Not too fast though because that can cause damage as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back