A few seasonal questions from a (just about) Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bristol*Emma

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Still on a journey to understand diabetes and how things affect me.

This week has been the first "cold" week since diagnosis back in June and I've noticed my morning blood readings have gone up from around 6.2 to 8.7 in the last week. Only thing that has changed is the weather, is this common?

Secondly I've also noticed when I go above 7 on my readings I have a slight elevated temp or when I have a slight temperature, my readings go up (not worked out cause and effect yet). Can anyone shed any light please.

Lastly, I have tingling in my toes (and have had for a couple of years) any advice on helping with dealing with that in the cold weather.

Any general Diabetes in the Winter/Autumn also gratefully received

Thank you - Emma

I’m Type 1 so can’t comment on the morning readings but weather, stress, illness and many other things can affect blood sugar so it could be the cold or maybe a low level virus.

No, it’s not normal to have a bit of a temperature above 7. People without diabetes go above 7 every day. Could it be hormonal?

The tingling in your toes could be neuropathy or due to a vitamin deficiency. Have you mentioned it to your nurse and had a foot check recently?

Do you test your blood sugar at other times of the day as well as first thing in the morning? If not, maybe you’re creeping a bit high at other times and this is contributing to the toes issue? Do you take Metformin @Bristol*Emma ?

Is your level going to 7 when you eat? Post-meal there is a slight rise in body temperature, so it might just be that?

Have you changed to a winter weight duvet?
If not I'd advise it, as I noticed a distinct drop in blood glucose levels after breakfast when I swapped to the more insulating cover a few days earlier.

Sorry to hear about your cold @Bristol*Emma

They have a well-earned reputation for mangling BGshen you get them. I have a mixed experience personally... Sometimes I can have a cold that barely causes any increase in BG, and other times I get a couple of above-normal days that confuse me, and then the cold appears to explain things! It never seems particularly consistent or reliable, but it can happen from time to time for me.

Thanks everyone, my blood sugar is spiking mid afternoon and around now so 2hrs post food I'm fine around 6.5 and then within an hour my temp goes up and so does my blood sugar, so this afternoon it went up from 6.2 to 8.6 without food. This evening from 6.8 two hours again to 8.6 now.

It doesn't feel like a hot flush as I get those and it does seem worse when I'm colder.

I'm on 2 x 500 xr metformin twice a day

Have put the winter duvet on this weekend and I am digging out my oodie tomorrow.

Thanks all for your support

Get well soon!

As a t2 the cold weather plays hob with my sugars they always go high regardless of my intake no idea way but ‍♂️.
As to a rise in body temp i cant help there as I'm the opposite as I'm getting more and more sensitive to the cold, before my diagnosis 2 years ago I bearly felt it now if it drops below about 12c I feel like I'm in a fridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back