A drain on the NHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annimay

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Had an appointment with my GP yesterday re eating issues. I've struggled with compulsive eating for years and even knowing I am diabetic hasn't helped me resolve it. He has urged me to consider weight loss surgery and I have some info to read.

So on the radio last night it was on the news how weight loss surgery has increased, and the presenter made a comment on why should stupid ugly fat people (I think he means me!) get an operation on the NHS.

Maybe I should just stop all my medication (for blood pressure and depression) then I'll just die quietly from a well deserved heart attack and not be a drain on the NHS anymore!

Don't take any notice of such ignorance and prejudice Anita. People vary vastly in their tendency to put on weight, and do so for a multitude of reasons. It is crass and stupid to make such sweeping comments. In addition, did the person consider that surgery is actually an enormous and frightening step to take for the majority of people and they'd go through hell and high water to avoid it. I'm presuming he wasn't overweight, but I suspect most of the fat he carries is in his skull! 😱

Who was the presenter? Anyone well known?

Thanks for that - I was probably overreacting a bit! - but it does get me down sometimes how people perceive me as a fat person. I'm considering counselling also - but there is a waiting list of about a year. Does anyone know what I should look for in the way of qualifications etc. if I look outside the NHS.

Anyway - am away for the weekend now - back Monday

*Sigh* Anita, unfortunatly, I understand all too much the predjudice and ignorent attitudes that *Some* People hold against us 'Fatties!'

I too am being constantly pressured into having this ghastly 'Gastric Bypass' operation! My Gp's keep telling me how it will 'Cure' my Diabetes, well, yeah...of course it will, cos I won't bloody eating at ALL!!....🙄

Why do they think that overeating is just a weight issue? If I could solve my 'Weight' issues and issues with food just by Not eating, well, life would be simple....Would people accept it if say, Anorexics were pressured to have an operation, where as they were cut open and their intestines re plumed and stomach made huge so that they would be constantly hugry so forced to eat!!...NO, because society ACCEPTS that Anorexics have Mental Health issues, and after all, shoot me if you like, but, in my opinion, it is much easier for people to feel smypathy for little frail very thin people then huge fat, and as often said 'Sweaty' people!!...C'mon, it's the pink 'n' fluffy syndrome that NO ONE wants to admit to!

I also feel like you Anita, like I deserve to just hide away, not take my med's and just DIE...It is so wrong that we are made to feel this way by constantly battling discrimination like this...I oftem use phrases when talking to Drs now like, 'I'm FAT not Stupid' 'I might be Fat, but I'm also a human being' They still don't get it!!...I will never forget one Paremedics face when called out when I was very ill with Gall Bladder infection, and the changed attitude when my partner said I was Diabetic "Type 2 though, yeah" he said, like I was a second class citizen!

I am a type 2 and Insulin dependant. I am on Insulin because I am unable to tolerate other medications due to other health issues...I have gained 6lb overall since being on Insulin, but over the past 3 months I have NOT gained anymore weight. I have battled to keep my weight stable, no mean feet when on insulin and with very little mobility. I have 6 compressed dics in my lower back, severe nerve damage, sciatica, that never ceases.

I am now being sent for further MRI because my middle back seems to be deteriating...I am in great deal of pain each and every day. My back problems are NOT due to my weight, I was much smaller when I first developed these problems....AND I always feel like I have to defend myself and battle for my rights to be treated properly by the NHS...and other alike.

My Cousellor say's I am one of life's fighters....Well, Guess what, I'm sick of fighting!!!!!!!!

If you want to message me direct Anita, please feel free to...I can't promise to be of much help, but I'm here to listen.

Much love to all....Especially Northerner, who is one of earths true Angels.

Northerner - if all his fat is in his skull - does that mean his brains are in his a**? Sounds like it to me.

I am a fattie too - but working on it.

I say do what is right for you - only you can know what that is.

Good luck.

I think he had his words muddled up when he said 'ugly fatties were a a strain on the resource', I think he meant 'drug users, alcoholics and smokers' instead.

Idiot man. No-one is a drain, it is all just life. If he wants to get to the nitty gritty then people have to eat but people don't have to drink alcohol, or smoke (of which I did) or take drugs, they are all choice things and take up far more money than fat people.

Don't get me wrong here people, I'm not having a dig at smokers, drinkers or drug takers but just pointing out that he was getting his facts wrong.

My brother said he would pay for the gastric band for me a month or so ago or pay for a personal trainer. I chose the PT and have been going for about 5 weeks now and love it. I still wouldn't do it on my own so having this opportunity twice a week is just fantastic and I am enjoying it.

🙂

I have to say Adrienne - i couldn't do it without my PT.
maybe they should consider PT's on the NHS?? They are expensive - an hour is approx the cost of a tub of strips!

Aaargh! What a berk!!! Had to delete one attempt at a reply already! 😡

It is really hard to lose weight whilst on insulin, especially when there are other factors at play. Don't let ignorant so-and-so's like this one get you down... sending you a hug! (((())))

We all get hurt when people who should know better, say these sorts of things.
My gran used to tell me, when I was upset by a remark made to me, "Look in the mirror and who do you see"? I would reply, "Me of course" and she would say, "Would you rather see them?"
I am getting quite frustrated by the fact that the older you become then the more invisible you become in society regardless of weight, usefulness, moral codes etc. I am sometimes ignored in shops until I pipe up and say that I am here too. I am spritely and do not need help but I am often bumped into and people say, "Sorry, I didn't see you". Have thought about wearing fancy dress so that I don't go unnoticed.:D There is only one alternative to getting old.
If we all did the best for each other and treated people as we would like to be treated then the world would be a much better place but I wont hold my breath.

It's the number crunchers that go around labelling certain groups as a 'drain on the NHS' so take no notice of them. It's usually diabetics, smokers, drinkers, etc depending on the month and which way the wind is blowing.

I've seen all the statements like diabetes takes up 10% of the NHS budget.

My own feeling is if they put more money into the prevention of complications (better/more frequent check ups, access to test strips, etc) then they could save a fortune that they spend treating the complications.

NiVZ

...My own feeling is if they put more money into the prevention of complications (better/more frequent check ups, access to test strips, etc) then they could save a fortune that they spend treating the complications.

NiVZ

...and quality of life for so many would be vastly improved - I think this is something that is often completely overlooked when doctors treat symptoms and not the person. :(

Sorry to hear that the radio handling of this story last night upset you so much Anita but good to read that Northerner's sensible words have been a help.

I awoke to this story being discussed on the 5 Live breakfast show this morning. I was in my usual early morning groggy state but my ears pricked up when I heard that someone had lost their need for insulin injections ... sadly it proved not to be the magic miracle cure-all so I went back to dozing. 🙄

Anyway this thread prompted me to look up what I had heard on the beeb's iplayer and have a proper listen. It can be found here
bbc/iplayer/5_live_Breakfast_27_08_2010
Now this is a three hour show but there are only two short clips that are relevant here so you can slide the player stylus to the given start times
  1. The bit I heard starts at about 2hrs 9min. It is an interview with one of the researchers who produced the report.
  2. There is also an interview with a 'Weight Loss Nurse", starting about the 1hr 9min mark. She is a good choice because she has had some of the surgery they are talking about to help with her weight, albeit not on the NHS.
Both interviews last about five minutes.

I think these clips do provide a more sensible analysis than what Anita describes hearing last night.

If you are not accustomed to this breakfast show then you may find the approach of the presenter's to be quite confrontational but it is the norm on these programmes for them to play devil's advocate with nearly all their guests who are not either celebrities or sports stars. It is the verbal conflicts that eventually prompt me to get out of bed in order to switch my radio off!

What I find revealing is that the chat with the researcher suggests the reports findings were largely in favour of this surgery because they can help the patients and in the long term they are "cost effective". Also despite the rise in numbers they are still used as a last resort. The media reaction however is much more focused on why the numbers of these operations has increased so much. But they have only recently been approved on the NHS by NICE and their availability has become more widely known - duh! 🙄

The beeb decided that the interview with the nurse merited them having 'Fatism in the UK' as the subject of their 9am phone-in. If you are interested the phone-in can be found here
bbc/iplayer/5_live_Breakfast_Phonein_27_08_2010
I have not listened to this however as I cannot stand phone-ins. I therefore cannot say if it is worthwhile or unpleasant listening. If this is a sensitive topic for you then I would listen with caution as most of the ignorant nutters in this country do seem to have mastered the art of making a phone call or sending a text, and some even get to present radio shows! 😡 I do hear however, that occasionally they get a contributor who has something worthwhile to say and can articulate it effectively.

Being on the iPlayer they have the usual seven day lifespan so the links will stop working at about 8am on Friday 3rd September 2010. Hope some people find it a worthwhile listen, best of luck with improving your diabetes and health for anyone who has this surgery. 😉

If the pen pushers / bean counters / performance indicators at NHS actually zoomed out and looked at the bigger picture then things could be so much better.

Whatever happened to 'prevention is better than cure'. OK, I know we can't cure diabetes (yet) but prevention of the complications before they happen is surely better than trying to fix them when they do (and probably more cost effecitive)

But I don't think it would be an easy job trying to convince the NHS management to be pro-active instead of re-active unfortunately.

NiVZ

The experiences I have had on the NHS have been totally different in two sections of my life. When I first had my dka and was in intensive care and then had to keep being rushed back to hospital with complications from some surgery I was a size 6-8. The reactions to me where that they wanted to help me and get me better, no matter what and I was treated amazingly by some wonderful doctors. Then I got better and was put on insulin. Then the weight started to go on. Within 9 months I was a size 20. Devastated and just wanting the earth to open and swallow me up. I still attended my doctors appointments but the change in attitude was shocking and instant. It all came to a head during my last hospital check up. Had I considered surgery? I was speechless. The way that everyone looked down on me now and didn't seem as willing to help. Like I had done nothing but eat for the last 2 years. Like I was no longer the person who just needed guidance with her diabetes like before. The weight was everything and even though I don't eat much I must be lying and spend all day every day at macdonalds. No one listens to the truth and it is so frustrating. Luckily I am strong and have a very supportive and realistic husband who will support me whilst I fight the people trying to put me under the knife but not everyone does. In the USA surgery is considered the first step in weightloss and I can only hope an pray that we never get to that stage here. How sad that people won't have the sense of achievement that you get with slowly losing the weight over a period of time.

Keep fighting the good fight guys and don't give in to the haters and the doubters. We will all get what we want when the time is right.

Xx

Hi Animay, I know just how you feel. I have struggled with weight for several years and the meds did nothing to help me. I wasn't overweight before diagnosis. Actos was a real menace and I gained a couple of stone in 3 months. Anyway eventually when I had a BMI of 39 the nurse packed me off to the consultant who decided Byetta was right for me. Well it has been miraculous. I no longer graze all the time and I am no longer hungry - ever. I can't tell you what a fab feeling it is. Best of all I am losing a steady 1 kg a week. Several people who started on the trial with me were waiting for gastric bands but now they have decided against it as they are losing weight at a steady pace. So google information and if you think it could be a possibility for you ask your doc. I had to be referred to the hospital and it took a few months to get it but others seem to have been prescribed it by their GP. I'm happy to be under the care of the hospital though as I think they have given me lots of tips and information that others may not be getting from GP's.

I am overweight, oh and I smoke too. We all know the dangers associated with smoking and the increased dangers being diabetic.

I have tried patches, inhalers, gum, zyban, champix (which almost saw me off with its nasty side effects) I am seeing a hypnotist next week, I'm determined to stop.

On a couple of occasions I have had medical 'professionals' tell me that I'm a drain on the NHS. The last time I was told that 'people like me cost the NHS at least ?k's more than other patients' - I felt about an inch high, and was so embarrassed I sat for a minute taking the abuse.

When he finished his tirade I pointed out that I'm in the 40% tax bracket and every month contribute over ?2.1k in tax and national insurance contributions so I was getting something for my money.

I don't know where it came from, afterwards I regreted having a go back at him but like I said enough is enough.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back