A Cramp Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossi_mac

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Before I got the nod and wink from the crack team my symptoms include severe cramp during the night up to 5 or 6 times , and sometimes during the day too. It was really painfull but to be honest didn't make me think of any thing I always got cramps now and again!

Anyway since that wonderful day when I found out I could join this website🙄 I haven't had any cramps, until last night!?

What brings it on??

My levels were okay the day before a bit yo-yo'ey for me 4-12 sort of thing, on my feet most of the day (not unusual) and as I missed a train so I had a 2.5 mile walk home so a bit more activity than usual for little old me. I woke up at 5.9.

I did wonder if it was a sympton of a night time hypo but levels at night and morning don't suggest that and I haven't mastered tested whilst sleeping just yet! Additionaly this morning I couldn't wake up, just very tired, alarm went of before 6am (usual) but I didn't really open eyes till 08:30.

Diabetes is an arse!

Any thoughts welcome:D

I would not have thought it was a symptom of a night-time hypo, or not last night anyway. Normally if you hypo over night and dont wake up you wake up with high blood sugars as your body kicks in and over compensates, as you were only 5.9 it does not sound like that happened.

If I have over done things or am feeling stressed out I get cramps. Have you over done it or are you worried?

Keep an eye on things and if the cramps become too much of a problem seek medical advice.

Hi I used to suffer with cramps too at night in my thighs and calfs. Iwas told it was a side effect from my statin tabs. Are you on statins???

Debbs

When I was diagnosed as being diabetic in 2003 I had been getting severe cramps in both legs during the night and when I was awake I would get them in my feet throughout the day. This being coupled with pins and needles in my feet as well and numbness in my toes and front part of my feet.

It took over a year of being on medication and getting my BGL's under control before the leg cramps went away.

Over the last year my BGL's have been getting very High and I've started getting the foot cramps back again although only the odd leg cramp. I think the cramps are generally connected to being high so I doubt they have anything to do with night hypo's.

Before diagnoses I had exactly the same thing Ross, really painful cramps in my legs that would wake me up at night. The doctors didn't seem to think it was because of Diabetes though haha, oh dear! They stopped once my control was better 😉

I suspect it was the extra walking you did because a couple of years ago I kept getting cramp when I had to walk to the train station after work. I ended up mentioning it to the doctor because I was a bit worried and he said it was just normal cramp and you just need to stretch/massage your legs.

Before diagnoses I had exactly the same thing Ross, really painful cramps in my legs that would wake me up at night. The doctors didn't seem to think it was because of Diabetes though haha, oh dear! They stopped once my control was better 😉

I also had dreadful leg cramps at night pre diagnosis, and was told it WAS a symptom of high sugars, wish they'd make their minds up!! Soooooo painful.

Sometimes get them again if my sugars are high.

I also had dreadful leg cramps at night pre diagnosis, and was told it WAS a symptom of high sugars, wish they'd make their minds up!! Soooooo painful.

Oh it was 100% definitely a symptom of high sugars, I have NO doubt. That was according the the doctor that cam around at the hospital (not sure what they are called) but I was also told by one of the nurses that I wouldn't need injections, whilst she was about to do an injection for me.

I don't think ive had any cramps as bad as they were pre-diagnosis.

Cheers peeps

Guess it's nothing to do with being low then, but don't think I had been that high for long! Must be the walking thing:( must get train in future, or do some form of exercise so it's not alien to my body (I used to be fit!) Or get a regular massage😉

On another point my GP at time of diagnosis said she'd never heard of cramps as being anything to do with diabetes, what can you do??🙄

Cheers

Rossi🙂

Same here Aymes, didn't have any after diagnosis until my sugars went through the roof after the cough syrup adventure. Had a cracker while I was in the hospital but things have calmed down again now. My docs tell me they are always associated with high blood sugar.

i was always told to eat bananas for cramps....so i did ! and guess what i was told to stop as my potassium levels were too high!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back