A complicated diet problem! Any suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silmarillion

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My mum is an insulin dependant type 2 diabetic and she’s in her 80s. She normally eats like a wee bird and she’s pretty fussy. She had a stroke, sepsis and developed a left sided weakness and poor swallow 2 weeks ago. She is on sliding scale insulin.The food in the hospital is soooooo bad, it’s basically liquidised tasteless mush and she won’t eat it. She’s on a level 4 liquidised diet. We have asked for a dietician referral but it hasn’t materialised 2 weeks later and she has lost 10kg. My mum couldn’t tolerate tube feeding. I am at my wits end trying to get her to eat. Please can any of you lovely people suggest some kind of high calorie, low carb,
low sugar supplement or some kind of diabetes appropriate calorie booster to assist with weight gain?

Normally things like Fortisip, and Ensure Plus could be useful, but most meal replacement drinks tend to be a balanced meal replacement, so have a normal percentage of carbs.
There is a good list here.

What insulin regime is she on? If a basal/bolus then low sugar/low carb isn't really an issue, as she can simply bolus for the carbs in the drink. Fresubin comes in a number of flavours but is expensive to buy. Maybe ask the hospital if she can be prescribed some to try? When I worked for a pharmacy supplying care homes, I used to deliver gallons of it on prescription.

Ask her what soups she likes & maybe take some in pre-heated in a flask. Supermarket web sites usually list carb info on the product page.

Thank you so much everyone. My mum is on sliding scale insulin at the moment as she is poorly. She is usually on a set dose of humbling twice a day. She’s been having problems with high blood sugars, though her eating habits are not good. She’s a really picky eater and avoids veg as it makes her illeostomy overactive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back