A choice of cgm/ flash monitors for T1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tdm

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
The current guidance says i have a choice. Does that mean i can get dexcom rather than libre? How likely is it? How many hoops will need to a jumped through?

I was given Dexcom 1 to try by my consultant but it isn’t available in my area on prescription yet...but will be some time soon!

Does that mean i can get dexcom rather than libre? How likely is it? How many hoops will need to a jumped through?
There shouldn't be any. Having said that, there seem to be some issues in some areas, but there shouldn't be any problem in terms of cost: the 4 marked as on prescription from GPs (which includes Libre 2) are about the same cost.

Reactions: Tdm
There shouldn't be any. Having said that, there seem to be some issues in some areas, but there shouldn't be any problem in terms of cost: the 4 marked as on prescription from GPs (which includes Libre 2) are about the same cost.

One of the links from that thread looks useful:

Be aware
- The choice is not the same everywhere. The NICE guidelines are for England only and not all CCGs have yet got fully onboard with them
- The choice is between Libre 2 and Dexcom 1. Libre 3 and Dexcom 6 or 7 requires more hoops (beyond having T1) to jump through
- The Dexcom app is supported on a much smaller set of phones than LibreLink
- Don't rely on Dexcom being better. We are all different. I found Libre 2 "pimped" with xDrip+ much more accurate than Dexcom 6.

Thanks for that, bit of a weight of my mind, dexcom one would be fine for me, i don't pump and whilst i have poor hypo awareness i don't tend to go hypo much. Hopefully will get good night sleep with it.
By the way can anyone explain why i have to wait til jan? (would ask dsn but i've bothered her a fair bit about things lately) Do you have to go to training session or something?

Thanks for that, bit of a weight of my mind, dexcom one would be fine for me, i don't pump and whilst i have poor hypo awareness i don't tend to go hypo much. Hopefully will get good night sleep with it.
By the way can anyone explain why i have to wait til jan? (would ask dsn but i've bothered her a fair bit about things lately) Do you have to go to training session or something?

Good candidate for pump if you have poor hypo awareness, that is one of a few NICE criteria for being eligible for one, so worth discussing it with consultant, more so if you've lost your licence due to your lack of awareness.

Do you have to go to training session or something?
That shouldn't be a requirement. If your phone isn't compatible I can imagine a delay (I guess they'd need to get a receiver and give it to you). I think it's excellent if they can offer some training (show you how to insert the first one, for example) but they shouldn't make it a requirement.

Reactions: Tdm
Good candidate for pump if you have poor hypo awareness, that is one of a few NICE criteria for being eligible for one, so worth discussing it with consultant, more so if you've lost your licence due to your lack of awareness.
Not too keen on a pump, to be honest. My bs drop like a stone if i do too much excecise (walking for 20 min would do it) with rapid acting insuline on board, so not keen on being on rapid acting 24/7. Consultsnt thinks its a honeymoon thing and will go away, in the meantime its a pain in the rear and a useful bs management tool. Never learnt to drive so ok there

My bs drop like a stone if i do too much excecise (walking for 20 min would do it) with rapid acting insuline on board, so not keen on being on rapid acting 24/7.
With a pump the insulin can be turned off (usually for exercise). That's something those of us on MDI can't do so easily (once I've taken by basal that's it for over half a day).

With a pump the insulin can be turned off (usually for exercise). That's something those of us on MDI can't do so easily (once I've taken by basal that's it for over half a day).
This is what I do and has helped my exercise hugely.
I am able to do a workout without going hypo by turning off my basal and a climbing session without going hyper by increasing my basal.
As a result, I have seen my fitness improve with an ability to run further, climb harder and lift heavier weights.

My exercise hypos were the justification for getting a pump in the first place.

Not too keen on a pump, to be honest. My bs drop like a stone if i do too much excecise (walking for 20 min would do it) with rapid acting insuline on board, so not keen on being on rapid acting 24/7. Consultsnt thinks its a honeymoon thing and will go away, in the meantime its a pain in the rear and a useful bs management tool. Never learnt to drive so ok there

Can't do much about HP, yeah it can be nuisance when it comes to physical exercise.

Thing is, once out of HP a pump is ideal for exercising, far easier to manage than on injections as many of us pampers will testify, you can reduce or even suspend your basal dose so have multiple options available to you.

At least you don't have worry about losing your drivers licence, but still same not recognising hypos isn't ideal, a pump with integrated CGM would be best option for anyone in similar situation.

Not too keen on a pump, to be honest. My bs drop like a stone if i do too much excecise (walking for 20 min would do it) with rapid acting insuline on board, so not keen on being on rapid acting 24/7.
The rapid acting insulin used in the pumps is equivalent to the basal insulin that you currently use, but with the flexibility to turn it off/down/up. This would be more flexible than the basal delivered once or twice a day By injection. As @helli has said a pump can be very helpful for exercise. It was a major reason why I wanted a pump, along with getting rid of night hypos. The basal insulin with pump is programmed hour by hour so we are able to create a profile to match what we need, and then adapt these rates to match what we are doing each day. It might be worth talking to DSN for more info.

The honeymoon period is irritating as it makes things a lot less predictable. Things will settle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back