A Cheeky Welsh cake... and some dorritos

Status
Not open for further replies.

harbottle

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Ok, so I've not broken my low-carb lifestyle with 'sweet treats' and crisps apart from a recent sampling of stuff in a restaurant, which was quite modest. Today on a record buying trip to Leamington my daughter (Carb addict) had a large bag of Dorritos and I, um, had quite a few of them. Probably more crisps than I've had in over a year, probably the equivalent of a small bag. Then we went to a cafe and I saw some Welsh cakes and thought... in the words of @travellor that it'd be an interesting 'experiment' (Maybe the cheeseburger experiment can wait). So I had a coffee and a Welsh cake on top of the piles of crisps (And two chunks of dark chocolate not long before). Probably more carbs than I've had in ages (And I don't think I've had my Metformin for a few days.)

Anyway, two hours later, 7.6 (Highest I've seen it for six months since I had a cannelloni in Italy.)
An hour later, I thought I'd just see what was going on: 5.4
I thought this was a mistake, did another test and got a 5.3.

(This was with no activity in between as well, as I drove home and spent most of the time writing software.)

What I saw in Italy (I had a sensor on) was that BG rose slowly to around 8, dropped slowly for a bit, and then between 2 and 3 hours started to drop quite quickly. I could see the readings drop in real time using shugr,

Not an experiment I'm going to repeat often, but interesting to see the response. (I generally don't like cakes, but for some reason do like Welsh cakes.)

Ok, so I've not broken my low-carb lifestyle with 'sweet treats' and crisps apart from a recent sampling of stuff in a restaurant, which was quite modest. Today on a record buying trip to Leamington my daughter (Carb addict) had a large bag of Dorritos and I, um, had quite a few of them. Probably more crisps than I've had in over a year, probably the equivalent of a small bag. Then we went to a cafe and I saw some Welsh cakes and thought... in the words of @travellor that it'd be an interesting 'experiment' (Maybe the cheeseburger experiment can wait). So I had a coffee and a Welsh cake on top of the piles of crisps (And two chunks of dark chocolate not long before). Probably more carbs than I've had in ages (And I don't think I've had my Metformin for a few days.)

Anyway, two hours later, 7.6 (Highest I've seen it for six months since I had a cannelloni in Italy.)
An hour later, I thought I'd just see what was going on: 5.4
I thought this was a mistake, did another test and got a 5.3.

(This was with no activity in between as well, as I drove home and spent most of the time writing software.)

What I saw in Italy (I had a sensor on) was that BG rose slowly to around 8, dropped slowly for a bit, and then between 2 and 3 hours started to drop quite quickly. I could see the readings drop in real time using shugr,

Not an experiment I'm going to repeat often, but interesting to see the response. (I generally don't like cakes, but for some reason do like Welsh cakes.)

Seems a perfectly normal response.
The cannelloni was perfect too!

I walked past a window the other day which had a Black Forrest Gateaux in it, it was staring at me, I was nearly licking the window, until I saw the shop assistant looking at me through the window, thought I was going to be arrested, by the way the window tasted awful. Anyway for some reason I had a spike in my sugars

Seems a perfectly normal response.
The cannelloni was perfect too!

I was relieved to see that 'something' is still working, although given than I generally manage to keep BG low when fasting indicates that the basal secretions (Possibly with help from the Metformin) are working well enough to stop it from rising and the liver is getting the messages.

I walked past a window the other day which had a Black Forrest Gateaux in it, it was staring at me, I was nearly licking the window, until I saw the shop assistant looking at me through the window, thought I was going to be arrested, by the way the window tasted awful. Anyway for some reason I had a spike in my sugars

I was in a shop once scrutinising all the ingredients and carb contents when I realised the 'security' guard was trailing me around! I think they must have thought I was a thief, as the people on the checkout were looking a bit tense. When I picked up some stuff and headed for the counter everyone relaxed and the security guy wandered off to harass someone else.

I was relieved to see that 'something' is still working, although given than I generally manage to keep BG low when fasting indicates that the basal secretions (Possibly with help from the Metformin) are working well enough to stop it from rising and the liver is getting the messages.

Hope you enjoyed your treats @harbottle

Very good BG responses! I’d be over the moon with those 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back