A carb free day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Okay, I'm not sure if this is the right location for this post so sorry if it isn't. Anyway, tomorrow marks my 6th week on the pump and whilst I have noticed significant improvements in my readings and general happiness as a whole, I want to try and further improve my levels by tweeking my bolus. The easiest way I can think of doing this is to completely eliminate the bolus requirement whilst I do this hence a day free from carbs.

Now the question 🙂

Can anyone make suggestions for meals that do not contain carbs?

The only thing I can think of is meat which, if I'm honest, isn't something I want to eat for breakfast 🙄

Ok here is some example of foods i can get away with without having to inject, tho bear in mind i think i am honeymooning but all these are low in carbs 🙂

Eggs and bacon/ham

salad (including lettuce, chopped pepper, handful walnuts, bacon/prawns/chicken/sausage

Fish or chicken with some steamed veggies

Omlette with low carb stuff chucked in eg..mushrroms, peppers, ham...

Stirfry with some lean meat.fish

Nuts

Cheese

Small amount of lindt 70%

Chopped carrot and cucumber sticks n dip

Small amount of butterkist micro popcorn (not sweet) (bout 25g has 10carbs roughly)

Anything under 13carb i can generally get away with, but thats me u may be different....🙂

Carb free day for me would be something like the following, (similar to above but he ho!)

Breakfast EGGS, I love eggs I do!

Lunch fish and salad (okay you got me salad isn't carb free but almost!)

Dinner meat and erm, depends how carb free you want to go, maybe a few vegies, or salad.

No snacks, okay try not to have any, but if I do, nuts are good.

So it's not a carb free day but nearly!

As DG said, I have heard that any meal/snack with less than 10gramms (DG said 13g) your body should be able to deal with!?!

Good luck

Rossi 🙂

Breakfast - eggs, mushrooms, bacon, sausages (check the packet some have more carb than others). I had this at the weekend to do a background check. My OH is now hoping for background checks every week 🙂

For snacks, olives and nuts are good

Eggs , eggs and more eggs. Iam living on them and pumping like a bast , people give me strange looks at work when i eat another egg or open another tinned mackeral. Wait till i bring in the crabpaste next week. Iam living on protien as i wait for my first insulin and i have very little concentration. Iam recently diagnosed as 1.5 .

Wow, thanks guys 🙂 I was kinda struggling so these suggestions are very much appreciated! Now to choose a date, prob do one over the weekend, and one on a work day should work out okay, then do it again a week later.

Should work... 😱

As DG said, I have heard that any meal/snack with less than 10gramms (DG said 13g) your body should be able to deal with!?!

I was told on a carb counting course that if a snack had less than 10g cho not to inject for it but if it had 10 or more to inject.

Personally I think this is based on the default insulin to cho rate they start with. I think that the amount of CHO you can eat as a snack is related to your ratio for that time of the day. So in the afternoon I can get away with 10g but in the evening its only 7.

Sorry to be contrary (and especially if your medical team has told you to eat during basal testing) but I wouldn't eat at all if basal testing. Protein in the non diabetic produces an insulin release and for many people with diabetes a no carb meal requires some bolus insulin so your results may not be accurate.

Thankfully you don't have to fast for long and can split the day into sections.
This PDF describes basal testing in some detail.
http://www.boulderendo.com/pdffiles/basalrate.pdf
and this one gives some sensible 'rules'
http://www.integrateddiabetes.com/pump_bt.shtml
NB both docs use mg/dl so divide by 18 to get mmol

Sorry to be contrary (and especially if your medical team has told you to eat during basal testing) but I wouldn't eat at all if basal testing. Protein in the non diabetic produces an insulin release and for many people with diabetes a no carb meal requires some bolus insulin so your results may not be accurate.

Thankfully you don't have to fast for long and can split the day into sections.
This PDF describes basal testing in some detail.
http://www.boulderendo.com/pdffiles/basalrate.pdf
and this one gives some sensible 'rules'
http://www.integrateddiabetes.com/pump_bt.shtml
NB both docs use mg/dl so divide by 18 to get mmol

Thank you for that. It hadn't occured to me to break it down into time slots like that 🙂 All my DSN advised was it may be an idea to have a carb free day and see how things go but the more I think about it the more it makes sense to fast. I know my biggest issue is with dawn syndrome and determining when it starts so, a few sleepless nights are in order there I reckon...

When I basal test (not very often at all, because I hate it) I only miss one meal at a time. I imagine the longer that you fast/go carb free the less accurate the results anyway. I don't have any scientific basis for this, I just feel that by putting your body in an unusual situation the blood sugars will not behave in the same way.

When I basal test (not very often at all, because I hate it) I only miss one meal at a time. I imagine the longer that you fast/go carb free the less accurate the results anyway. I don't have any scientific basis for this, I just feel that by putting your body in an unusual situation the blood sugars will not behave in the same way.

Same here, I was told to have a carbon free meal, but still eat, and check out different times separately rather than do the whole day in one go. I don't think I could do more than one meal at a time, just one carbon free meal sends me light headed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back