70's video of diabetic children on holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.
That took me back...not to the 70's as such, as I was only diagnosed in '79 (at 11 months so not aware really!) but things weren't much different in the 80's - I was on 2 soluble & isophane injections (mixed) for years; 3 set meals & am, pm & evening snacks strictly every day, whether you were active or not, hungry or not, ill or not. Hated it. The scene at the pool took me back to swimming lessons in primary school, when I felt I was going hypo so got out to eat something & got rollicked by the instructor... oh happy days! :( Just made me realise how far things have come - sat there in tears watching that, missing my mum (primary carer for my diabetes as a kid 🙂) thinking "I love my pump!" Won't moan about dodgy infusion sites or snagged tubing again, I promise! 😱 Stupid diabetes.

Blimey O'Reilly Charlie...

I remember being asked about one of these Holidays in the early to mid 80s. I wish I'd have done it really. I know they look a bit dodgy when you look back but then Duty Free (amazing sitcom from the 80s) isn't quite as funny when you watch it now! 😛

I went on loads of days out with little hospital though. Blackpool, Rhyl, Alton Towers when it was opened.

Thanks for putting the link up Bev & Twitchy for pointing it out.

That took me back...not to the 70's as such, as I was only diagnosed in '79 (at 11 months so not aware really!) but things weren't much different in the 80's - I was on 2 soluble & isophane injections (mixed) for years; 3 set meals & am, pm & evening snacks strictly every day, whether you were active or not, hungry or not, ill or not. Hated it. The scene at the pool took me back to swimming lessons in primary school, when I felt I was going hypo so got out to eat something & got rollicked by the instructor... oh happy days! :( Just made me realise how far things have come - sat there in tears watching that, missing my mum (primary carer for my diabetes as a kid 🙂) thinking "I love my pump!" Won't moan about dodgy infusion sites or snagged tubing again, I promise! 😱 Stupid diabetes.

Sorry Twitchy - only just noticed there were any replies. Sorry if it made you cry too. I thought it might be interesting for anyone who had diabetes as a child around this time. Good that you love your pump and feel that things have moved on a bit though.🙂Bev

That took me back...not to the 70's as such, as I was only diagnosed in '79 (at 11 months so not aware really!) but things weren't much different in the 80's - I was on 2 soluble & isophane injections (mixed) for years; 3 set meals & am, pm & evening snacks strictly every day, whether you were active or not, hungry or not, ill or not. Hated it. The scene at the pool took me back to swimming lessons in primary school, when I felt I was going hypo so got out to eat something & got rollicked by the instructor... oh happy days! :( Just made me realise how far things have come - sat there in tears watching that, missing my mum (primary carer for my diabetes as a kid thinking "I love my pump!" Won't moan about dodgy infusion sites or snagged tubing again, I promise! Stupid diabetes.

Sorry Twitchy - only just noticed there were any replies. Sorry if it made you cry too. I thought it might be interesting for anyone who had diabetes as a child around this time. Good that you love your pump and feel that things have moved on a bit though.🙂Bev

Only just managed to watch this as it was crashing out before. It's very early '70s isn't it? I'd say '71 probably. Very interesting about the carb counting for fixed doses, but I noticed there was no real stress on the type of carb (e.g. pick bread, white or brown) Maybe that had less of an impact.

Quite an emotional film, as I would have possibly been one of those children and I know some members here are of a similar age.

This is a 1970's video of diabetic children at a holiday camp. Bev
Thanks for posting Bev, I certainly found it a worthwhile and entertaining watch.
... I remember being asked about one of these Holidays in the early to mid 80s. I wish I'd have done it really. I know they look a bit dodgy ...
More than a bit dodgy IMO but I guess (hope!) it was just naively innocent. I know they are all probably a little shy and awkward with the camera being on - remember this was well before the current age of celebrity when everyone wants to be on TV, or so I am told! - but don't all the kids look so miserable whilst being lectured at.
I too remember them being advertised in the Balance mag but I was just a little too old for this sort of thing when I was first diagnosed. I think they did them for teenagers too because I recall one being suggested for me and I refused straight away, much because I expected them to be just like this. 😛
Only just managed to watch this as it was crashing out before. It's very early '70s isn't it? I'd say '71 probably. Very interesting about the carb counting for fixed doses, but I noticed there was no real stress on the type of carb (e.g. pick bread, white or brown) Maybe that had less of an impact. ...
The discussions with the dietician brought back some bad memories, the problem was that even in the mid-80s early 90s they would talk down to you like this even when you were an adult! It did at least change for me with the clinic doctors when I was at Uni and if there were medical students in attendance then the doc would make jokes at my expense because I was studying Maths and I would then surprise them by making jokes back about them all being innumerate and computer illiterate. 😉
With the dieticians though it was always tough, and I was always expected to comply with their solution rather than them provide an approach that would work with my lifestyle. For a number of years I just did my best to avoid discussing matters with them. My viewpoint did not really change until attending the local equivalent of the DAFNE course where the dietician contributed throughout and we discussed with her a full range of diabetic topics rather than just being told what we could and could not eat and when. 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back