6th Libre 2 sensor in a row has failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OliviaP19

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
I’m on my 6th sensor within 1 week. Each time I scan using my iPhone 14, the 1 hour countdown starts again. My phone is up to date as is my Libre app. My 6th sensor I am currently using is on the 1 hour countdown now. I’m trying this one using the remote in place of the phone. Has anyone else had trouble with the app recently or gone through so many sensors? Libre have been great with replacing the faulty ones.

What is the failure type? Does it say you need a new sensor, or is something else happening?

FWIW my last 6 or so sensors have also failed (with one working adequately right in the middle) - mine were a combination of severely under-reading (so hypo alarms would go off with quite normal BG - I know about compression lows, these were so off that even XDrip+ couldn't calibrate them back into a useful range) or Bluetooth failures (and sometimes both).

Really annoying as my arms were getting quite unhappy at such frequent changes, and equally as I though the libre2 was pretty decent re low failure rates compared to the libre1.

I’m on my 6th sensor within 1 week. Each time I scan using my iPhone 14, the 1 hour countdown starts again. My phone is up to date as is my Libre app. My 6th sensor I am currently using is on the 1 hour countdown now. I’m trying this one using the remote in place of the phone. Has anyone else had trouble with the app recently or gone through so many sensors? Libre have been great with replacing the faulty ones.
Hi OliviaP19. The only 1 hour countdown I know of with the Libre 2 is when a new one is applied and there's a 60 minute timer whilst it initiates and gets ready. Are you seeing a reminder that the sensor will stop working in 60 minutes? Any chance of taking a screenshot of your iPhone screen when the timer starts?

Have you had any update / download on your phone recently?.these can make what was a compatible phone and sensor no longer so?

I’ll tag in @rebrascora who uses the reader. I use my phone.
I have to be honest, I have no idea. I have never had a problem when using the reader, but if you are still having problems @trevann then you need to contact Abbott Customer Care and discuss it with them.

I've just had a fairly long discussion with Abbott Customer Care as my new sensor stuck on a reading of 2.9 and two oranges and three biscuits later, and the required wait time, was still stuck on 2.9 except for a brief leap to 4.7 which was accurate, before lapsing back to 2.9. The higher reading didn't register.

Presumably they always put you through the same hoops, this is the first time I've needed to call, but it seemed gruelling to me and I'd hoped to be able to do it online. I hate phones anyway and efficient and helpful as she was I had difficulty catching what she was saying and I found I had to keep asking her to repeat what she'd said. The event log pretty much said it had died in the interim. We got there eventually and they are sending me a replacement. About ten minutes after I hung up it started working again.

I've just had a fairly long discussion with Abbott Customer Care as my new sensor stuck on a reading of 2.9 and two oranges and three biscuits later
Why did you have two oranges and three biscuits? You should always confirm high or low blood sugars with a fingerprick, if your libre reading was wrong then you didn’t need to treat a hypo. Plus two oranges and three biscuits is not an appropriate hypo treatment anyway.

I did confirm it and it did the job. I've been doing this for a while now, 44 years, and I'm well aware of what is appropriate. The problem wasn't with my actions it was with the sensor not responding.

I gave up
on three they just never stayed on .

I gave up
on three they just never stayed on .
I found when the sensors fell if it tended to be a problem with preparation and placement.
Once I realised I had to rid my arm of any grease and place the sensor on a flat part of my arm (and be aware of it when dressing), I lost no more sensors.
I appreciate some people have stickier skin than others but most people work.out how to.keep.their sensors in place.

I did confirm it and it did the job. I've been doing this for a while now, 44 years, and I'm well aware of what is appropriate. The problem wasn't with my actions it was with the sensor not responding.
Hello, how long did the reading stay low, on the sensor graph, before it reflected your back to normal BGs?
I’m not knocking how you treated your hypo. You know your own reactions. 🙂 But I do know there can be a delay in response with the sensor. I normally ignore it and follow the meter for an hour.

I know my description of events is a bit odd but I was looking for humour rather than accuracy there. To begin with the sensor was more or less in accord with the finger prick and very low so the oranges. This usually does the trick after 15 minutes or so but I was still stuck around 3.4, finger prick reading so I thought sod this and went for the biscuits, after that I got back to around 4.7. The sensor stuck on 2.9 throughout. That's when I called Abbott and according to the event log it had frozen and there is a little number which seemed to convince her that it was a goner. It was in its frozen state for at least an hour and a half.

I kept on fiddling with it and suddenly it came back to life but this time it seemed stuck around 4.6 for an hour or so. Finger pricks told a different story, but over time it settled down and this morning seems to working better than ever. So the faulty one I have to send back isn't faulty anymore, a bit embarrassing really.

Yep. I know Abbot charge the NHS £23 each one. Mine stuck on but was faulty at giving the right blood glucose level. I've given up now too.
Thankfully mine were free trials from Abbot but I never bought As a type two i really wanted a picture of what was happening but not wirth it otherwuse .
I found when the sensors fell if it tended to be a problem with preparation and placement.
Once I realised I had to rid my arm of any grease and place the sensor on a flat part of my arm (and be aware of it when dressing), I lost no more sensors.
I appreciate some people have stickier skin than others but most people work.out how to.keep.their sensors in place.
I think that's it when you suffer with inflammatory disease you perspire 24/7 . So unlikely any will work.

Oranges have too much fibre for hypos, try orange juice instead?

I know my description of events is a bit odd but I was looking for humour rather than accuracy there. To begin with the sensor was more or less in accord with the finger prick and very low so the oranges. This usually does the trick after 15 minutes or so but I was still stuck around 3.4, finger prick reading so I thought sod this and went for the biscuits, after that I got back to around 4.7. The sensor stuck on 2.9 throughout. That's when I called Abbott and according to the event log it had frozen and there is a little number which seemed to convince her that it was a goner. It was in its frozen state for at least an hour and a half.

I kept on fiddling with it and suddenly it came back to life but this time it seemed stuck around 4.6 for an hour or so. Finger pricks told a different story, but over time it settled down and this morning seems to working better than ever. So the faulty one I have to send back isn't faulty anymore, a bit embarrassing really.
I’ve seen some strange anomalies in my time. Though in the shade I was working outside in a 26 or 28 degree Celsius heat. I had a warning come up that the sensor was too cold to function? A day or so later I was in a conservatory. Lol, it happened again. Rapid changes in interstitial fluid can freak these sensors out, making them reluctant to tell you anything for “10 minutes,” but it sounds to me you had a fault outside acceptable tolerances. There was a fault event, so I wouldn’t feel embarrassed contacting the Abbott helpline. 🙂

Oranges have too much fibre for hypos, try orange juice instead?
I agree that in extreme situations there is little to match orange juice, it's saved me a few times, but I'm not usually in that state even when the reading says 3.4.

I agree that in extreme situations there is little to match orange juice, it's saved me a few times, but I'm not usually in that state even when the reading says 3.4.
I get what you’re saying. A “guiding hand” as opposed to hitting it with a wrecking ball. 😉

I think that it is important to hit any hypo with something as fast acting as possible, but just that you might not want to hit it with a full 15g every time. I personally use jelly babies because they are very portable and I am not tempted to eat them at any other time and if you chew them really well, they work really quickly. If I am at 3.5 I might only have 1 or 2 of them rather than the full 3 which will usually take me up too high, but if I am below 3 I would have all 3, so I have a graded response depending how low my level is, but I use the same fast acting treatment for them all, I just vary the size of that treatment. If my levels are just above 4 and my alarm goes off then unless levels are dropping rapidly, I will have a piece of dried fruit like a fig or a prune or an apricot to nudge levels up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back