6 weeks in - the good, the bad, the unexpected!

SuperCat

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
6 weeks after diagnosis:
THE GOOD - 5-6 kg lost - current BMI 25.6, feeling so much better, hair and skin better and I some of my clothes that didn't fit now do

THE BAD - my grocery bill has increased significantly and my favourite jeans now don't fit ( a bit loose)
-Metformin makes me feel vaguely sick for some of the day and Forxiga means I have to go the bathroom once or twice during the night
-I ate 2 Gu puddings last week )-: ( the satisfaction outweighed the guilt.....just)

THE UNEXPECTED - my resting heart rate has come down and I feel so much calmer even though stressful circumstances have not changed.

It has been a challenging 6 weeks but all the effort has been worth it and I am seeing the results and I have got lots of inspiration from reading all the posts on this forum and trusting that if others can do it then so can I! I don't know where I would have started without the forum. I am going to try and get off the medications if I can. I try not to think about the fact that the new way of eating is for life, just take one day at a time otherwise it can be overwhelming. Still not clear as to whether I can ever 'relax' a bit with the eating regime or whether I have to be militant on low carbs for life!!

It has been a challenging 6 weeks but all the effort has been worth it and I am seeing the results and I have got lots of inspiration from reading all the posts on this forum and trusting that if others can do it then so can I!

Thanks so much for your progress update @SuperCat

Wow! Congratulations on your weight loss, and wardrobe changed (but booooo to the favourite jeans)

Really interesting to hear about your resting heart rate, and feelings of calm too!

Keep going!

I am also 6 weeks in and find the diet a struggle at times - Well done on the weight loss - keep going it is a marathon not a sprint . What are you numbers are they coming down or are you not testing.

I am also 6 weeks in and find the diet a struggle at times - Well done on the weight loss - keep going it is a marathon not a sprint . What are you numbers are they coming down or are you not testing.
I was using a Freestyle Libre for the first 4 weeks and glucose levels down to near normal most of the time, but of course I'm on the medications too.....

Well done @SuperCat...you're doing great progress.Keep it up.

You sound like you're doing brilliantly.

I'm about the same timescale as you, but I've got prediabetes. I really don't need to lose weight (mbi) and seem to be eating far too many nuts, but they're far better than the alternative. I caved in the other day as well, as local does a breakfast wrap - sausage, beans, tomato and ketchup - it tasted really sweet, so I know I've come some way with my taste buds.

It's a learning curve and I guess we're all going not make ideal choices in the early stages - obviously if your body will let you know if it really can't cope and when we've had our next blood test that'll tell us if we've made sufficient changes.

THE BAD - my grocery bill has increased significantly and my favourite jeans now don't fit ( a bit loose)

THE UNEXPECTED - my resting heart rate has come down and I feel so much calmer even though stressful circumstances have not changed.

Good food, a new pair jeans and better health all sound good to me. Upwards and onwards. Never look back!

Back