6 month results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel_0101

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone,

I did my blood test almost 2 weeks ago, and have been anxiously waiting for the results. My last result for my hba1c was 53, so I was just hoping it had dropped to at least 45, however it exceeded my expectations and it dropped to 36.
I am extremely happy with this result, and was in shock for about 10minutes until I realized nothing actually changes in terms of lifestyle.
I think this is me being rather negative, as although I am extremely happy not to be constantly worrying whether my hba1c will return to the normal ranges, but I think I still miss my old lifestyle of going out to drink and I guess not worrying about how foods/drinks will have an effect on my sugar. I was informed by my dietician that going out to drink is not to be exluded from your lifestyle, however it is about taking things in moderation, and I do appreciate that, but I think we all have those days or most of us do where, we just want to drink a lot, and not as a coping mechanism or anything, just to drink I guess.

I think after 6 months I still sometimes fall back into the denial stage of not actually believing I am diabetic, as I never really indulged in large quantities of sweets or foods containing an immense amount of sugar, however I do own up to the fact that my lifestyle was not healthy despite that and I did not exercise or pay much attention to what I was consuming. I do however know that consumption of large quantities of sweets or food containing a lot of sugar is not the only way to get diabetes, however that seems like the most common way (correct me if I am wrong please).

I have met so many amazing people on this forum, who have given me hope in terms of coping and getting through this, and I am truly grateful.

I really hope this post does not make me come across as ungrateful or anything like that as that was not my intention at all.
(Sorry this is so long and thank you for reading this far if you did)

Congratulations on your great HbA1c reduction @Daniel_0101

Hope you can maintain the changes you’ve made that have helped your body and metabolism cope better.

In my opinion drinking in itself isn’t necessarily the problem (well any more than it is for anyone!), it is the associated carbs and calories that can make it difficult. But I think your dietician has a good point, within the guidance of 14 units a week, a little moderate alcohol consumption can fit into a well balanced diabetes lifestyle. Beers, lagers and ciders are very carby (20g of carbs or thereabouts in a pint). Spirits and diet mixers, and wines are far lower in carbs. Though they all contain quite a lot of calories.

Diabetes isn’t just about sweet and sugary things of course. All carbohydrates convert to glucose, and can put pressure on the metabolism. Particularly since many staples in the modern western diet can be very high in carbohydrates, especially if portion sizes creep up.

But you’ve clearly made some really positive changes to reduce your HbA1c to 36. Long may it continue 🙂

Hallo @Daniel_0101, what an amazing achievement. Yes, it is easy to become complacent when your sugars are "normal", I just try to remind myself how much better I feel for my lifestyle changes, and when the going gets rough, I post on here! 🙂 The positive and non-judgmental responses I get are sufficient to help me get back on that wagon.
Keep up the fantastic work.

Congratulations on the result.
You certainly must have changed something to achieve those numbers!

I am very impressed, we’ll done.

You have done a fantastic job ,well done.

Congratulations on your great HbA1c reduction @Daniel_0101

Hope you can maintain the changes you’ve made that have helped your body and metabolism cope better.

In my opinion drinking in itself isn’t necessarily the problem (well any more than it is for anyone!), it is the associated carbs and calories that can make it difficult. But I think your dietician has a good point, within the guidance of 14 units a week, a little moderate alcohol consumption can fit into a well balanced diabetes lifestyle. Beers, lagers and ciders are very carby (20g of carbs or thereabouts in a pint). Spirits and diet mixers, and wines are far lower in carbs. Though they all contain quite a lot of calories.

Diabetes isn’t just about sweet and sugary things of course. All carbohydrates convert to glucose, and can put pressure on the metabolism. Particularly since many staples in the modern western diet can be very high in carbohydrates, especially if portion sizes creep up.

But you’ve clearly made some really positive changes to reduce your HbA1c to 36. Long may it continue 🙂
Thank you.

I do hope I can maintain these changes too.

I do agree, I think since I am still at an unhealthy weight, I will refrain from drinking for a bit longer.
Thank you for the useful information.

Hallo @Daniel_0101, what an amazing achievement. Yes, it is easy to become complacent when your sugars are "normal", I just try to remind myself how much better I feel for my lifestyle changes, and when the going gets rough, I post on here! 🙂 The positive and non-judgmental responses I get are sufficient to help me get back on that wagon.
Keep up the fantastic work.
I 100% agree, the positive and non-judgmental responses really help me to keep things into perspective.

Thank you!

Congratulations on the result.
You certainly must have changed something to achieve those numbers!
Thank you!

Yeah, I changed everything, apparently I wasn't supposed to quit everything all at once, like in terms of eating habits, but I figured it was all or nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back