5am Hypos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbs

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
During 3 nights in the past week I have had a hypo between 5-5.30am, each time being in the low 2's. There doesn't appear any rhyme or reason and I'm not sure what to do? I've cut back my levemir (now on 22 units instead of 26) and I make sure I am high enough before bed - last night I was 10.2 at 8pm & 13.9 at 10pm so figured high enough and didn't have supper.

My diabetes is totally all over the place at the moment, can't be steroids I was on as stopped them 5 days ago. :confused:

Just need to keep dropping the levemir.............from time to time insulin requirements can change for no reason at all.........

Is strange though as normally at five your body is thinking about asking your liver to spit out glucose amongst other hormones!!!!!

Have you spoken to your team at all about it? My first thought is "pump!" as then you would be able to cut back your insulin around that time.

I haven't spoken to DN yet, may give her a call tomorrow. I personally don't fancy a pump - and probably couldn't get one anyway.

During 3 nights in the past week I have had a hypo between 5-5.30am, each time being in the low 2's. There doesn't appear any rhyme or reason and I'm not sure what to do? I've cut back my levemir (now on 22 units instead of 26)

You could ask your care team about splitting your Levemir injection into two doses. It's not uncommon for people to need different amounts daytime and evening, and two doses can allow you to tweak the insulin levels to have less overnight, more in the daytime.

Alternatively you might find that injecting one dose in the morning may help. This is the approach I now take with Lantus. That way the activity of the insulin is tailing off when it gets to the early hours when I seem to need less. While injecting at supper time I used to wake up low several times a week.

Last edited:
Over the past couple of months I had to drop my Lantus from 13 units all the way down to 5 units until I stopped the hypos (I did actually go all the way down to 1u, but worked my way back up again). Might be a case of keeping dropping until you stop hypoing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back