56 mmol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lancsamb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have received an email from my gp after my recent blood sample stating my HBA1c is 56 , what does this mean as on my finger prick the numbers are so much lower usually around 7 mmol so how can 56 mmol be right? . My gp says my diabetes is stable.

They are measuring different things.
The Hba1c ranges were worked out with a bit of guestimation - and I was eating 50 gm of carbs max and got a Hba1c of 42 for a couple of years. I thought I'd try to reduce it, so ate below 40 gm of carbs per day - at the end of the year - Hba1c of 42 - the best laid plans eh?
Hba1c is the glycated haemoglobin test - giving an indication of how much glucose is stuck onto your blood cells.
The blood glucose monitor gives the amount of glucose swimming around in your arteries and veins.
I try to remain under 7 after eating in order to get 42.

Yes Hba1c is the three month average gained from the blood test - the finger prick shows your BG at that moment in time, using mmol measurements. Hope that helps it to make sense.

Yes Hba1c is the three month average gained from the blood test - the finger prick shows your BG at that moment in time, using mmol measurements. Hope that helps it to make sense.
Thanks for your response but I don’t think you understood my question.ie the email says 56 but the blood finger tests say 7 how can these numbers be so far apart?

Thanks for your response but I don’t think you understood my question.ie the email says 56 but the blood finger tests say 7 how can these numbers be so far apart?
They are measuring different things and are in different units.

I am confused as the both say mmol so how can they be so far apart? What am I getting wrong does anyone on the forum explain to me why this is

I am confused as the both say mmol so how can they be so far apart? What am I getting wrong does anyone on the forum explain to me why this is
Your fingerprick units are "mmol per litre". Your HbA1c of 56 units are "mmol per mol". So different units, and measuring different things.

I am confused as the both say mmol so how can they be so far apart? What am I getting wrong does anyone on the forum explain to me why this
The HbA1c, which is the 56, is measuring how much glucose has stuck to your red blood cells over three months, and this is measured in Mmol/mol.
Your finger tests measure the amount of glucose free in your bloodstream (but not stuck to the red blood cells) at the present moment. This is measured in Mmol/Litre.
So they aren’t using the same units, although they sound similar.

I think this confuses everybody at the start. Just think of them as 2 totally different tests. The finger prick you do at home can vary a lot during the day, and you are checking it at random points. The hba1c is a specific test that look at 3 months at a time and tells you the average blood sugar for those 3 months. Mine was 55 or 7.2 for conversion. This 7.2 doesn’t mean my blood sugars were at 7.2 as an average though. I use this website to get a rough idea https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/tools-and-resources/hba1c-calculator

Thank you for the chart but I think you are wrong as 56 is 7.3 on the chart you sent.
A hba1c of 56 converts to 7.3% but that doesn’t mean your average blood sugar is 7.3 on your meter, the % is a different unit, your finger prick average would be higher than this.

I have received an email from my gp after my recent blood sample stating my HBA1c is 56 , what does this mean as on my finger prick the numbers are so much lower usually around 7 mmol so how can 56 mmol be right? . My gp says my diabetes is stable.
when you say your finger prick numbers are around 7, when are you testing,before eating, 2 hours after? how many times a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back