51st Diaversary

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJLang

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Today I am celebrating 51 years of surviving Type 1 Diabetes - there will be plenty of champagne and some fun treats this week. But with out being too serious it will also be a time of reflection. 51 years ago my Mum was begging the doctors to save my life because they didn't know what was wrong with me. Even now children die of Type 1 diabetes either because medical professionals fail to diagnose it or at a later stage in their diabetic life something relating to diabetes kills them. There are also a lot of Type 1 diabetics who get this illness when they're adults but again the medical profession fail to diagnose it properly. And, unfortunately many, many Type 1 diabetics don't manage to survive the diabetes battle for 50 plus years and/or suffer horrible diabetic complications. Today I will be remembering all of these people.
But I will be celebrating today because I am one of the lucky ones, and so thankful to my Mum, the good medics and the scientists who have got me to this stages.
But today there will be champagne and celebrations and I may even start the count down to my 60th Diaversary 🙂 It is a battle but I am so very thankful for all of the good things it has given me. Apologies for the long post 🙂

And, unfortunately many, many Type 1 diabetics don't manage to survive the diabetes battle for 50 plus years and/or suffer horrible diabetic complications. Today I will be remembering all of these people.
There are many people who live with diabetes for 50 years plus. It's not uncommon in this day and age with advances in treatment.
I've seen posts from people with 60 - 70 and 80 years living with diabetes. 🙂 Our life span is no different than a non diabetic these days 🙂

Hi @AJLang , I saw your previous post "celebrations", but got distracted and didn't comment then. Anyway, congratulations. Clearly a great milestone and you certainly should be now chasing the 60th diaversary!

Your comment about the many T1s who don't survive the battle or suffer horrible complications rings true in my close family. But for T2. My late brother lost both legs to this pernicious disease, almost certainly from accrued damage well before his actual diagnosis on his 60th birthday. He spent some 10 years in a wheelchair. His passing is a great sorrow to us, but I think a relief to him with daily gargantuan struggles. Also an older cousin I was very close to, again T2, who died 16 yrs ago from D related complications. So I hope you don't mind widening your reflections.

That said, please enjoy your well deserved celebrations.

Congratulations - been there and got the T-shirt. My parents also struggled to get a diagnosis in the preceding weeks despite numerous visits to the GP. I ended up being stretchered from my bedroom semi-conscious resembling someone from a famine zone. What I got to 50 diayears intact I have subsequently lost a leg to this horrible disease.

Anyway forget that and enjoy your day! Birthday

Enjoy your celebrations, Amanda.

Well done! @AJLang - I hope you’re enjoying your big celebration.

Congratulations! I’m just approaching my 1st diaversary so still have a long way to go but I’m hoping in 50 years time, I can say the same!

Enjoy the celebrations 🙂

Thank you very much everyone. I had an absolutely brilliant time in Brighton with lots of bubbles. The first photo was taken from my hotel room at The Grand. The last photo was my winnings at the amusement arcade :D xx

Attachments

• 989B0453-6DDF-422B-B7F1-41FCB3DA3882.jpeg
    989B0453-6DDF-422B-B7F1-41FCB3DA3882.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 10
  • A6D15BD6-0FEA-4820-B5B6-0CD8A8449087.jpeg
    A6D15BD6-0FEA-4820-B5B6-0CD8A8449087.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 4BD48436-4506-4989-ABA9-014BA10B9F02.jpeg
    4BD48436-4506-4989-ABA9-014BA10B9F02.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 08AA6167-5A01-45AB-9B44-4A3DFE931F87.jpeg
    08AA6167-5A01-45AB-9B44-4A3DFE931F87.jpeg