50 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshal 1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
This may sound stupid but I've been told you can get a medal for being a diabetic for 50 years, can someone tell me if it's true or not

This may sound stupid but I've been told you can get a medal for being a diabetic for 50 years, can someone tell me if it's true or not
It is.

It is.

Well! That makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it? ; )

Bit unfair to us late T1s, though; or were we not trying hard enough? ...

Well! That makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it? ; )

Bit unfair to us late T1s, though; or were we not trying hard enough? ...
The reason you have to wait 50 years is because people with diabetes have roughly the same lifespan as none diabetics.
There used to be a 15 and 25 year medals. They were stopped as so many people reached that distinction 🙂
I have/had a 50 year medal and can assure you it's nothing to write home about.

Mmn, so that I would have to live until I'm 128 to get mine then, oh well, press on then.

Well have to say I couldn't be bothered to instigate applying for mine - I mean - where's the actual proof now, cos I could be lying, or misremembering, couldn't I?

Presumably it's in our medical records so a GP can provide a letter (for a fee, probably)?
Well, the link above does say
"To obtain one of these medals, please send a letter of confirmation from the patient’s GP or any healthcare professional confirming their diabetes status. "
So you wouldn't get very far by just saying something along the lines of "I think I was diagnosed when I was 5 and I am now 55 so give me a medal" :D

Presumably it's in our medical records so a GP can provide a letter (for a fee, probably)?
I scrolled back in my medical records & my diagnosis is there in ‘78 so there’s a way to prove number of years served- probably for a fee but think of the medal! :D

That does not belong to me! and can hardly be placed where I can see it most of the time, even though she's Sunset Red and beautiful, she's always had to live in the garage with her mate, Blackbird.

No way can we access things we have been diagnosed with even in recent years via the NHS App, which is our only online access to our GP - I only moved here in 1998 when all GP medical records were handwritten even though I suppose they'd have requested my previous GP's records, but who knows cos I don't.

I think we should get a trophy rather than a medal. A two foot tall bronze jelly baby?
Not that I am likely to get there as I was diagnosed a bit too late and will probably be a right miserable git if I make it to 106 but I would rather it be filled with JBs, so that it is practical as well as something worthy of display. Maybe just a jelly baby dispenser like the sweet machines in arcades used to be but without needing pennies for it.

Not that I am likely to get there as I was diagnosed a bit too late and will probably be a right miserable git if I make it to 106 but I would rather it be filled with JBs, so that it is practical as well as something worthy of display. Maybe just a jelly baby dispenser like the sweet machines in arcades used to be but without needing pennies for it.
How about a bronze jelly bean dispenser with a lifetime supply of JBs?

My 15th diaversaty tomorrow seems rather a small achievement, but we shall still celebrate (any excuse).
We all deserve a medal for all that we do day to day. I do feel a bit of a fraud as Hermione (my pump) is now doing a lot more of the work than me with the looping, up I might as well embrace tech.

How about a bronze jelly bean dispenser with a lifetime supply of JBs?
Do you think they should approach Bassets to fund it.... after all many of us are very regular customers and I am sure they could get some good publicity out of it.....after all they are saving the lives of diabetics across the world.... I consider my JB as "Hypo Heros"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back