5.5 Reading!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukjeff27

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
After a month of diet changes since diagnosis my levels after testing are finally down to acceptable levels, 5.5 an hour after food! now comes the hard part ...... keeping them there.
Does anyone think i should celebrate with a knickerbocker glory? 🙂

hey jeff celebrate away thats really good , keep up the good work

I would definately have a knickbocker glory after that reading - just the one mind and don't make a habit of it ....lol 😛

Great reading, whatever you are doing it seems to be working to get your blood sugars down.
I think eating occasional treats is a must,

Last edited:
hmmm 5.5 at one hour? What was the premeal test reading? What was the meal?

Hi Jeff, 5.5 at one hour sounds good! Have you tried testing at two hours after the same meal? It may just be that the glucose spike is not coming in until later. With me the spike is usually at 1.5-2 hours.

That's a great result - not much carbohydrate in that meal!

What was the meal?

The meal was chicken curry with brown rice (cant get used to brown rice! tastes like dirt! perhaps im not cooking it right?):confused:
As for pre-meal levels im not sure as i only test randomly every couple of days, im not very structured in my testing yet im afraid, My gp has recently put my metformin up to three a day and this is probably helping, according to mrs ukjeff27, although i like to think the hard work ive put into changing my diet has played a part.🙄

GREAT forum by the way, its really helping me through a difficult time, thank you all.

:confused: Tested higher this morning, 7.1 cant make head nor tail of that?

If you had brown rice and only clocked 5.5 then either you were exceptionally low before you started, or you missed the peak BG. So it was probably a lot higher than that, but hit later than you tested. Lower GI foods like brown rice don't necessarily give you a lower peak BG, but it can delay the peak.

As for the higher FBG, thats probably dawn phenomenon:
Link: http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/joomla/dawn-phenomenon

Last edited:
:confused: Tested higher this morning, 7.1 cant make head nor tail of that?
You will find fluctuations even after you have things sorted out - for example my 'on rising' fasting blood glucose level varies between 4.1 and 6.8 (usually below 6) - all in the normal range.

Don't get anxious about things just keep working at it. If you keep on eating the right things and you will find that things improve quickly. Just keep introducing small changes to your diet to try to get into a healthier way of eating.

John

Does anyone think i should celebrate with a knickerbocker glory? 🙂

I would have a near-zero-carb raspberry mousse with added raspberries, splenda and whipped cream...

...but then again I have that quite often 😉

The meal was chicken curry with brown rice (cant get used to brown rice! tastes like dirt! perhaps im not cooking it right?):confused:
As for pre-meal levels im not sure as i only test randomly every couple of days, im not very structured in my testing yet im afraid, My gp has recently put my metformin up to three a day and this is probably helping, according to mrs ukjeff27, although i like to think the hard work ive put into changing my diet has played a part.🙄

I have basmati rice Jeff, you might prefer that to brown - I do! They have a similar GI.

So do you think the reduction is down to the extra metformin? my gp has upped my dose to three 500mls a day, as my levels are coming down now, do you think i should make an appointment to ask about going back to two tablets a day?

So do you think the reduction is down to the extra metformin? my gp has upped my dose to three 500mls a day, as my levels are coming down now, do you think i should make an appointment to ask about going back to two tablets a day?

How long have you been on 3 jeff? Might be worth seeing how they settle over the next week or so. There's always a bit of jugglig with the meds when you get diagnosed as your diet and lifestyle adjustments start to take effect. Certainly, a reduction is a possibility!🙂

I'd recommend that you just relax about things and keep on with the good work. You seem to be doing OK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back