4mm Needles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbs

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My DN recommended that I used 4mm needles and gave me a couple last week, however, I am now unable to get them from the pharmacy. I know that a couple of you replied and said you also used them - do you use them on a Novopen? The pharmacist was unaware of 4mm being available then when looking them up said she could get some 4mm needles but they weren't suitable for Novopens?! I have put them in contact with my DN to try to sort this out but so far, nothing has happened. Today I went to the pharmacy and they said they were out of stock with manufacturers anyway. Has anyone else had any problems getting hold of your needles?

Thanks.

I think the bd needles are universal, am pretty sure about that.......I am on 8mm which is quite common I think so Im cool.............

As far as I'm aware the needles are universal for the prefilled pens. I use the flexpens with mine. The pip code for the BD Micro-fine 4mm needles is 351 2878 if that helps.

I use BD needles 5mm on both my novopen and humapen. They have lovely lilac covers so I'm sticking with them. Never seen 4mm ones.

I think I could do with 4mm Needles, I use 5mm ATM, and they seem (at times) to be too long.

4mm BD needles will fit on any pen, I have been using them for a few months, before they offically came out and are my prefered choice definatly.

I'm on my second box of 4mm needles and find them easier to use than the 5mm. They come in a lovely green colour too.

My local Boots pharmacy ordered them for me in the middle of last week. They were in by Saturday.

Hope you manage to get some!!

I use the 4mm BD microfine needles with a flexpen, They are really difficult to get hold of though, always had to be ordered in by the pharmacy. Last time I ordered them from boots only to be told that they didn't exist but after much persistence they looked it up in the manufacturers catalogue.

Yes, I use them on my Novopen - never had a problem getting them from Boots near me. I find them very comfortable and bruises and bleeding seem to be a thing of the past, hooray!

Shocked by this as so many adults using the 4mm and my 11 year not been offered them - i didnt know they existed. K has used 5mm since dx, and has recently had problems with pain whilst injecting but no one mentioned smaller needles at all. Shall be taking this up with Dsn next appointment (10th Nov) - sounds like they are quite new tho'?

In the meantime, there's no need to inject needles "to the hilt".

ooo I didn't know you could get 4mm needles! I struggled enough getting someone to tell me about 6mm needles when I'd been complaining about bruising so often!

I'm going to get me some of those! :D

This has really bugged me. I really don't understand why they are hiding the fact that smaller needles have been made available. they should be recommending them to everyone, especially children, at least to try. Don't think because they are new you won't be able to get hold of them. They are on the system, they have a PIP code and any chemist will be able to order them in if they don't stock them.
When i asked about being moved from 6mm to 4mm my consultant said your DSN will arrange it for you. Did that ever happen, no it didn't, I had to sort it myself. You can't rely on DSNs etc to tell you about these things and help you get them, if you want them you have to be prepared to go to your GP, tell them you want your script changed, give them the PIP code and inform your chemist of the change so they can be ordered in. I'm not saying it'll be like this for everyone, but that's how it was for me. Now I'm very happy I've got my 4mms. The pain has reduced, the bruising has reduced and I can rotate my sites a bit better now. 🙂

The same goes with the insulin pens redrevis, I was using a much older version and wasn't aware the pen had been updated twice and there was a much more smaller and slicker version available.

My chemist (Boots) still can't get hold of them, thinking of taking the script elsewhere to see if somebody else is more switched on seeing as a lot of people are using them already on this site.

Nothing is ever simple!

I asked for the 5mm if they couldn't get 4mm as I currently use 6mm but they haven't managed that either and I know they're not new! 😡

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back