4 months in with type 1.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbnuts

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi all. sorry i have not said much for the past couple of months, had a terrible time at work as i had so many concentration problem. things are getting better now - maybe since i started my insulin regime. i was finally diagnosed as type 1.5 about 5 months ago and i was put on a basal of 5 units detimer and novarapid fast acting for meals- which i still stick to. my last check up revealed a a1c of 5.6. Not bad and i have no complications with eyes and my cholesterol levels have gone back to a normal. I was initially diagnosed as type 2 in october 2009 and had all the high bad numbers for liver and cholesteral. I switched my diet to low carb at that time and this seems to have helped greatly (no bread, no pasta etc). Problem is - since starting insulin iam gaining alot of weight, how do you people cope? I really dont want the excess weight, and it seems quite unfair considering iam on a low carb diet. I take 5 units detimer and 10-15 units novorapid a day. Such a begger all this

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back. Yep, most people do put on weight after starting insulin. For most with type 1 or 1.5 LADA, that's from a slightly to somewhat below ideal weight, so it's not exactly a problem. So, the question is more how not to gain too much beyond an ideal weight. Fat has far more calories per gram than carbohydrate, so limiting that might be part of your answer. The other part of the solution is energy expenditure - not just sports etc, but walking, cycling, gardening, whatever. For advice about sports & insulin, see http://www.runsweet.com and for mountain activities and insulin, see http://www.diabetic.friendsinhighplaces.org/

thanks for your advice, iam thinking now that it could be the fat i eat, so i need to pay close attention and count calories. Also not getting enough excercise lately , i do about 40 mins of walking a day on weekdays, usually at lunch time but tend to be more active on weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back