4 month wait for an appointment with my DB Nurses for a possible insulin change!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillrogers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Can believe what ive just been emailed! My insulin resistance is still continuing. Just been told the earliest the hospital can fit me in for a review on my insulin is in April! At this rate ill be giving my breakfast insulin at lunchtime, lunchtime at dinner time and dinnertime in the early hours! Sorry for the sarcasm but im so fed up with this. And this wait is because of the damage the strikes are doing to the system and other patients whos probkems dont wait for strikes and pay. These doctors are now hurting people physically and mentally so they can have a far better lifestyle that these patients ever will. I dont mean to offend anyone. But this is how bad its getting now.

Sorry to hear that @gillrogers

It is a frustrating time to be sure, and it’s more important than ever to empower ourselves to manage our own condition.

Were you hoping to switch to different insulins? Or was it dose adjustment that you wanted to talk through? If it’s insulin resistance, do you think adding Metformin may help?

Diabetes can change the rules quite often in the early years, particularly in a diagnosis happens when there are still some remaining beta cells… which then rally when supported by exogenous insulin… but then continue to be destroyed by ongoing autommune attack!

So the early years (sometimes hilariously called the ‘honeymoon’ period) can be infuriatingly volatile and contrary for some people. :(

Frustrating isn't it @gillrogers, but I would not place all the blame on striking doctors. The NHS has arrived at a position where it cannot provide what we, the general public, would like to see. The reasons are complex and deep seated and current problems are entirely due to political decisions made by governments of all colours over the last 50 years. The frustrations that lead doctors to give up and strike are just a small part of the overall problem.

Can I suggest that you pester your MP with respect to the problems you are having and you do not accept the easy get out that "it's all due to the junior doctor strikes and there is nothing I can do". In reality, if the junior doctors pay was bought back in line with their pay of 15 years ago, it would have little effect on the malaise that infects the HNS.

@gillrogers I am confused.
Recently, you were asking for ab insulin that worked slower than NovoRapid because you were going low too quickly.
Now, you are saying you experience insulin resistance and need to bolus earlier.
It can't be both. What has changed in your life to affect the speed your insulin is working?

Can believe what ive just been emailed! My insulin resistance is still continuing. Just been told the earliest the hospital can fit me in for a review on my insulin is in April! At this rate ill be giving my breakfast insulin at lunchtime, lunchtime at dinner time and dinnertime in the early hours! Sorry for the sarcasm but im so fed up with this. And this wait is because of the damage the strikes are doing to the system and other patients whos probkems dont wait for strikes and pay. These doctors are now hurting people physically and mentally so they can have a far better lifestyle that these patients ever will. I dont mean to offend anyone. But this is how bad its getting now.
Surely if you were resistant you would end up giving lunchtime insulin at breakfast, not the other way?

@gillrogers I am confused.
Recently, you were asking for ab insulin that worked slower than NovoRapid because you were going low too quickly.
Now, you are saying you experience insulin resistance and need to bolus earlier.
It can't be both. What has changed in your life to affect the speed your insulin is working?
Hi Helli, sorry if i confused You. I used to have terrible resistance which was why i got put on lyumjev. Earlier this year my resistance had changed, reduced quite a bit. Proven once i staryed bqck on the humalog i was expecting to be prebilusing at 25 mins plus. But wasnt it was as recommended almost with the exception of lunch where i was bolusing during the meal. We wrre expecting me to he begging for the lyumjev back in winter as it hot colder but it hadnt happened and my resitance has actually reduced again instead.

Id rather not have a slower insulin if i can help it fr what ive read, But may not have an option at this rate.

Surely if you were resistant you would end up giving lunchtime insulin at breakfast, not the other way?
Noo my resistance has decreased considerably not increased. Think ive managed to confuse people , sorry

I don't normally support strikes but I do have some sympathy with the Doctors as they have been badly let down by the government over the many years, they rely on so much goodwill from dedicated people who have worked very hard with 5 years of med school with the fees and living expenses and the high cost of text books often as much as £200 each so they start their working life thousands in debt. It is only then they actually start earning but when you work out the hourly rate it is less than a refuse collector and certainly less than a car mechanic and they are dealing with life and death situations.
I know how hard they work, many work way beyond the hours they are contracted to work as they are always learning and studying to get to the next stage in their career. Frequently covering for colleague absences and staff shortages means days off sometimes don't happen.
I understand peoples frustration at not getting appointments but the NHS was never designed to support all the advances in treatments that people expect these days, who ever thought we would have heart transplants, new knees, babies surviving a 14 week pre- term birth and cancer treatments not in a million years and all for free.

Frustrating isn't it @gillrogers, but I would not place all the blame on striking doctors. The NHS has arrived at a position where it cannot provide what we, the general public, would like to see. The reasons are complex and deep seated and current problems are entirely due to political decisions made by governments of all colours over the last 50 years. The frustrations that lead doctors to give up and strike are just a small part of the overall problem.

Can I suggest that you pester your MP with respect to the problems you are having and you do not accept the easy get out that "it's all due to the junior doctor strikes and there is nothing I can do". In reality, if the junior doctors pay was bought back in line with their pay of 15 years ago, it would have little effect on the malaise that infects the HNS.
Nurses told me it themselves, as they had to cover the wsrds and stop the appointments. Its taken a week for them to return phone calls as well.

It was fine befote the strikes started and even at the height of covid.

All NHS staff deserve good pay but if you look across all industries as a whole evetyones in the same boat really. And minimum national wage doesnt help skilled workerd as alot of employers think they dont need to raise the skilled workers wages in line with it.
Why would an employer raise wages when theres a law that means they can pay less legally and get away with it?

NHS needs to stop using agency staff and paying high rates to do it but cant because theres not independent staff who will accept the lower pay. Having said that not many agencies these days pay their staff at a higher rate.

The whole shebang nationwide and all industry wide is out of kilter. Police in same boat ad are the army - theyre not allowed to strike and have to get on with it.

My daughter now has a heart condition, got sent to hospital this morning only to be told after her examination that she needs a heart monitor for 48 hours, cant do it there , no beds so the doctor will write to her doctor who only works on Fridays to prescribe her one! Meanwhile.................... I just hope she ok and can make it. Shes only 22

Id rather not have a slower insulin if i can help it fr what ive read, But may not have an option at this rate.

I’ve used regular insulin and it’s perfect for what you’re describing as it has a slower onset and is less fierce. @gillrogers I purposely used it to bolus for my lunch today and the difference between it and Humalog was very noticeable. If your situation is as you describe, you should definitely give it a try 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back