4 injections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruth Goode

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
My daughter at moment is on 2 (insulin) injections a day and they want me to try and give her 4 injections a day so wonder if its any good - she is only 2 years old and happy to have injections so far!

I haven't personally experienced 2 injections Ruth, but from everything I've heard others say, you will have much greater flexibility on 4 injections. With 2, the only real advantage appears to be fewer injections. By injecting only for food eaten (plus a backgroung 'basal' insulin) you can give much more freedom to your child to eat only when hungry, and in quantities the child will wish to consume.

I'm sure our parents in similar circumstances will be able to give you details of their own experiences 🙂

Yeah I agree- I dont know how it works for children though- certainly there is more freedom.

On 4 injections daily the freedom comes from dose adjustment, blousing an amount when she eats and titrating it according to the amount of carbohydrate consummed, or reducing it given the amount of exercise for example to help avoid hypos. Im sure your team will explain it much better than that.

Has anyone discussed insulin pumping with you at present?

I agree to some extent aswell.............

For a young child there diet is usually quite consistent in terms of amounts and time of day so two could be better, but everyones requirements are different and if the Hb1Ac is not coming down I would say try everything and anything to get it down............

Mixed insulins are being phased out in most areas because you simply cannot get good control for a child. They end up eating to insulin and they often hypo before lunch and are high early evening.

If they are offering you MDI (4 injections a day) - then go for it! Your little one will get much more freedom and if your not sure how much food will be eaten then you can inject after the meal so you dont need to worry.🙂Bev

I agree with Bev, go for it.

My daughter C was on 2 a day at first(dx aged 10). It worked for a while, but then, as Bev said, she hypoed every morning, unless she ate more, and was high by late afternoon. For a while we made her have more morning snack (some at 10 and then some at 11), as we couldn't reduce the insulin. Because she didn't do her own injections and wouldn't let anyone but me do them, she then moved on to 3 injections a day, mix in the morning, rapid for the evening meal and levemir for bed. That way we could at least give her some extra rapid to bring her down in the evening. The second she confidently mastered doing them herself, we moved on to MDI and haven't looked back.

C wouldn't go back on 2 for anything in the world! It gives her more freedom with her food and routine.

Hello,

I am on 4 injections, only downside is places to inject, i use the top of my legs, belly and my o/h sometimes does one in my arm for me.

I have never been on anything else, because it has suited me fine from word go.I find it flexible, so you can work the insulin to food and exercise.

x

Thank you all above for replying, we will have a meeting with a nurse on Wed and see how its go, I will keep you all informed 🙂

Just to give you a update, Carly have not started on 4 injections yet due to her illness with hand, foot and mouth disease and now she got chickenpox :-( so it is postponed again as her bm levels are high, its normal with her illnesses so until its back to normal we will start her on 4 injections

Hi Ruth

Poor Carly - she'd collecting her rashes just now, isn't she? At least second infections aren't possible (accepting chicken pox herpes virus can resurface as shingles at times of stress, but may never happen)

Poor Carly (((hugs))) hope she gets better soon x

places to inject

Agree in general with four a day, only slight reservation is the age of the child.

Regarding injection sites, many years ago I read an article by the brilliant Prof Fletcher who injected in the calf of his legs (perfect for those under table moments). It's pretty painless and a good extra site.

][/B]
Hello,

I am on 4 injections, only downside is places to inject, i use the top of my legs, belly and my o/h sometimes does one in my arm for me.

I have never been on anything else, because it has suited me fine from word go.I find it flexible, so you can work the insulin to food and exercise.

x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back