3yr old grandaughter seeing me test and inject

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimms2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Newly diagnosed 2 years ago , my little grandaughter age 3 is curious , nana is testin her blood sugars , later im injecting my insulin .
I try to do this when she not looking ,I tell her its my medicine and she not phased by it at all ! but her mum is ( my daughter ) she is frightened little un is going to tell people at her nursery that nana is using needles !!!!!!! pffffffffffffffffffffffffffft , Ive tried to explain to my daughter , that it should become normal to little un and she will understand if i explain it all without frightening her , unfortunally daughter dont agree so , ive been instructed to keep it out of sight ,,,, duhhhhhhhh hurt or what !:(

Such a shame, I agree with what you want to do - why should people associate needles with drugs or something to be hidden? We'll never get acceptance if people don't teach their children so they can then become 'ambassadors' of future generations! 🙂

If it were my daughter I'd say to her that she could be diagnosed herself tomorrow, and so could her daughter! You shouldn't have to hide it.

That's really sad Mimms. I don't know what to suggest that might help your daughter to understand better but I feel for you.

Maybe she could peep over your shoulder while you're on here and see that we're a varied bunch and with a huge rise in diabetes as widely reported today, your granddaughter will probably come across plenty of diabetics in her lifetime and shouldn't really be protected from the reality (or assume we're all drug addicts!).

ROb

I never hid anything from my children, and never faced any embarrsing comments at playgroup or school...

My lot sort of assumed that it was something all mums did! so never mentioned anything about it..

Never worried if they did, easily explained and nothing to be worried about...

Unless of cause you look like the 'A' stero typical drug addict🙂

I have been diabetic for 36 years, started when I was having my son. I never hid it from him. My husband is diabetic also we are both Type 1. Now we have 3 grandsons and they all know about Grandma and Granda and have see us both inject and take our bloods. Tell your doughter its better the little one knows like you say. My grandsons all know what to do if we have a hypo they can give glucogell and dextro tablets and know how to phone for the ambulance if they ever need to. Thy are 4 6 7 years old, and understand better than some adulit about what is going on.😱

What a missed opportunity to educate a child on real life and medical issues.😱
My son is 12 and used to inject ( now uses a pump) and he used to feel a bit embarrased if he had to inject in a public place and I always told him that its ok to do it, but with people like your daughter (no offence), diabetics stand no chance of being accepted if people are teaching their children that injecting is something that should be hidden or kept secret. Heaven forbid your grandchild were to become type 1 diabetic - what would your daughter do then.....🙄 I would put my foot down and insist that your daughter lets your grandchild see you when you inject if you have to. You should not be made to hide away.🙂Bev

I can only reiterate what everyone else has said and if she could be persuaded to have a look here maybe your daughter would be more understanding. Young children are so accepting and this is the time we should work hardest to expose them to as many experiences/people as poss to try and reduce prejudices in adulthood. Pretty much everything is normal to a child unless told otherwise. My 3yr old son visited me in work today - I'm a vet - and chatted away while watching me do a hysterectomy on a dog - to him its normal that Mummy has to wash the blood off her hands before he can get a hug! I guess its no wonder he has no qualms about getting his injections in public. I'm not suggesting every child should be comfortable in that situation but I guess there'd be a lot less adults with phobias if this was the case. If your relationship with your daughter allows I would remind her that diabetes is a part of you and you would never dream of asking her to hide a part of herself from anyone and that your insulin injections are not something to be ashamed off but are the reason you are still here!

I don't inject as I am on tablets, but I do test.

My little feller is six and I have explained to him what I am doing. He told his teacher at school I am diabetic and make my finger bleed. She wasa little worried so I explained and took the kit in to show.

On the whole if kids see things being done and it is in a matter of fact way they will grow up accepting it.

Not sure if any one else has asked, does your daughter have a problem with needles/inections? That may be the basis of her reluctance for your granddaughter seeing what you are doing.

My grand daughter is 4 now and often watches me inject myself. and puts the lid on after I have done it plus she understands why I have it -Plus she knows I have had a stroke and have nerve damags which makes my leg kick out and shakes , she calmly comes over to hold it down and 'There Nanny thats better now' 🙂
I have never and will never stop her doing this plus she loves pushing me in the wheelchair hahaha Kids do take notice and if you tell them the truth, thats good I think , they don't forget either:D
Hugs Mo

i have a four year old sister, and she see's me do it all the time.
she asks whether it hurts and why i do it.
but she knows not to touch any of my medicine cause she will be in big trouble if she did.
shes a good kid at heart ^^

Sorry your daughter's finding it so difficult to accept your diabetes and treatment, but glad your granduaghter has taken it in her stride! My grandaughters see me test and I explain that it is grandma's medicine or way of testing whether i need any medicine. Perhaps your daughter is finding it difficult to come to terms with the fact you have diabetes and the implications of this, but I'm sure you have probably had enough on your plate with coming to terms with this yourself! I think you are doing your granduaghter a favour by letting her see that injecting can be a normal and healthy, part of life... a delicate situation for you, you have my sympathy.

My partners 3 year old son watches me doing it all the time "Manan that your medicine to feel bettah?". He likes to wait for the beep on the finger pricking too. He's spoke to his nursery teacher about me injecting but we'd already explained that I'm diabetic so they've helped explain to him too that it's normal and safe as long as he doesn't touch the medicine boxes.

Perhaps suggesting to your daughter to explain that you're diabetic and they'll be able to show the same kind of support? XxXxX

Hiya... I really feel for you, it's not an easy situation!

My 3 yr old son sees everything about my diabetes - I have never tried to hide if from him, taking the view that if I don't want him to be scared or worried by it, it should be as 'normal' as possible (bit like the vet situation - like it! :D).

I did wonder at one point if I'd made a mistake doing this, as one day when he was 2 or so, I stupidly left my bag where he could get to it, stepped out to the kitchen for a moment & returned to find him looking guilty & shocked - he'd tried doing 'his injection' in his tummy. 😱 Luckily he hadn't managed to dial up a dose or, as it turned out, got the needle in - but it was an awful moment for me, realising what a close call it had been (needless to say, any diabetes stuff stays out of reach these days! 😱). Maybe your daughter is worried that your granddaughter might do something similar? Obviously once we'd both got over the shock/surprise of the whole situation we had a good talk about 'mummy's medicine' & why he must 'never, ever' touch it. He's been good as gold about it since then. These days I'm on a pump & he's really interested, asks lots of questions & 'helps' me with set changes by counting down to insert the new canula! He's never (to my knowledge) talked to anyone about mum & needles etc, as to him it's just normal.

Have you tried asking your daughter exactly what it is about the situation that worries her? Maybe if she could voice a specific concern you could then reassure her from our experiences or something?

Hope things work out ok,

Twitchy xxx

I'm afraid it is your daughter that got a problem with it, children are very accepting so talk and reassure your daughter again, if your granddaughter mentioned needles at school then they can explain, it is not that hard to do that.
I would NEVER hide Carly and her needles, if they don't like it then look away - so far I had no problem with breastfeeding in public for nearly 2 years and now testing and injecting her. If anyone ask, we just explain and they are usually very understanding.

I have three kids. The oldest is 6, the middle one is 3 and the youngest is 1 (on Friday :D)

I've never hidden it from any of them and since the oldest two have been able to understand I've told them that it is my medicine and i need it because I'm diabetic. They know its not a toy and they know it's dangerous for anyone who isn't a diabetic. I personally think they will be better people because of it. They'll never look at someone injecting and automatically assume they are a junkie. My eldest knows what to do if "daddy won't wake up" if she finds me out cold somewhere. Not a nice thought and thankfully it's never happened, but better that they know what to do and not need it surely? The other two will be taught too when they are old enough to understand.

When I got the pump I showed them it and explained to them how it works. They think it's interesting as most kids would!

It sounds like your daughter is afraid of what people might say. Maybe she should be pro-active and rather than telling you to hide your diabetes paraphernalia away she could speak to the nursery staff and explain that you are diabetic and have to inject and test your blood. Then if it is brought up the staff are able to deal with it and explain to any freaked out parents that its nothing to be concerned about.

My sons who are now 12 and 17 , have grown up with me being diabetic and seeing as i suffer with hypo unawareness its a good job they know everything as they have helped me out many a time .Children are very excepting they dont seem to have any problems excepting it , sadly its usually other adults who do :(

I really appreciate all your replies , I live 150 mile away from daughter , but at least 1 month drive , stay overnight ,, and pick up grandaughter from nursery , hence thats when she sees me doing MY STUFF , lol when we alone , ive explained to little un , what im doing ,, and as said before she very acceptable . I AGREE with you all ,,, and im not going to stop it , My daughter smokes outside in garden , using lighters etc , and i class this as controversal also ,,, as little un sees this too . IF she got her hands on stuff like that ,, , well the mind boggles , thank you all for your support ., i now realise im doing the right thing , 🙂

My five year old niece is used to me testing. She is keen to see what the result is.

I even let her put the strip in the meter. She is no longer worried at the sight of blood. (She used to scream at the sight of it).

On the funny side, one day I cut my finger picking up some broken glass and my niece brought my testing kit... bless... it was the thought that counted. She was only four at the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back