3am test result

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emzi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
well i went to bed on 11.2 with no correcting as id done alot of exercising last night, had 15units of levemir and at 3am blood was 5.2 which i thought was pretty good although blood this morning was 9.1 :(

Lower than normal and happy its single figures but stil needs bringing down.
Still gunna do a 3am test tonight for peace of mind but i dont think im hypoing overnight so i either need a 2.5:1 ratio at evening meal or a 17dose of levemir??

any thoughts?:confused:

well i went to bed on 11.2 with no correcting as id done alot of exercising last night, had 15units of levemir and at 3am blood was 5.2 which i thought was pretty good although blood this morning was 9.1 :(

Lower than normal and happy its single figures but stil needs bringing down.
Still gunna do a 3am test tonight for peace of mind but i dont think im hypoing overnight so i either need a 2.5:1 ratio at evening meal or a 17dose of levemir??

any thoughts?:confused:

Hi Emma,

I'm going through a similar situation at the moment! I often wake to levels of about 10 even though I am going to bed with levels at about 6! I have tested during the night to make sure I am not going hypo through the night. I wonder whether you are still around the 5 mark at about 4am and 5am? You might be dropping after 3 am? Just a thought, if not, your Levemir might be too low. You can easily check this by fasting from 6pm to the following morning, also try fasting another day after an early breakfast, say 6am unitil 2pm, or after an early lunch until 8pm, all the fasting periods have to be inactive periods for accurate results. Hope this helps! 🙂

SOunds like you are going in the right direction. I hope it all getts sorted for you.

Hiya

Sounds like the exercise caused you to drop - waking up on 9.1 could show that you hypo'd after your 3am test and the 9.1 is a rebound. Alternatively it could be dawn phenomenom - sounds like more tests would be needed to find out exactly what caused that rise! 🙂

I'd be careful about upping your levemir as that 5.2 is nice, but might not be so nice with an extra 2 units of levemir working on it. I'd be tempted to do a 4 am test and a 5 am test (different nights, if you prefer!) to try and get a better picture of what's happening before adjusting. You might only be rising after about 6 am - the Dawn Phenomenon is so named because it is dawn that triggers the processes that make the liver release its glucose 'boost'. If this is the case then you'd need to explore ways of combatting DP which may not involve altering your levemir dose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back