33.1 bs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

gail2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
sugar has been running high last few days in the 20s range tonight its just measured 33.1 😱 am being careful as to wot i eat will admit have had a lot to drink all sugar free squash im have the beginnings of wot i think is bronchitis starting up could this effect bs levels? At least theres one thing i know how high my monitor goes

Sweety have you checked for keytones?? xx

That's really high, perhaps you should call NHS 24 and see what they say. Is there someone there with you?

Wow that is higher then i have seen, have you checked the meter is ok and it is not a faulty reading x x hope you have someone there for you for precaution maybe ring NHS direct 24.

Sorry I did a complete T1 response there without thinking...keytone testing on the brain.

Thats very high- Alisons suggestion is a good one. Its 0845 46 47 incase you needed the number.

Hope it gets better xx

Gail, that is really high - yes, the illness can affect you adversely. Can you check for ketones? Drink plenty of water and if you can, take small corrections and keep checking. Let us know if things change.

Now I am confused, so lord help any newbies looking in.

Sugarbum seems to suggest that ketones only apply to type 1s whereas Northerners post suggests type 2s also. I was under the impression it applied to all diabetics on insulin. anyone know for certain?

Took this off a diabetes site....earlier post wasnt meant to confuse!

"Understanding ketoacidosis is very important for someone with Type 1 diabetes, because they have the highest risk of developing dangerous levels of ketones. However, ketoacidosis also can occur in someone with Type 2 diabetes if there is a major increase in insulin resistance (such as infection or treatment with steroids) or reduction in insulin release from the pancreas".

Thanks Sugarbum that clears up the confusion, and makes things much clearer..

John

I wiki'd this:

".../ Screening for ketonuria is done frequently for acutely ill patients, presurgical patients, and pregnant women. Any diabetic patient who has elevated levels of blood and urine glucose should be tested for urinary ketones. In addition, when diabetic treatment is being switched from insulin to oral hypoglycemic agents, the patient's urine should be monitored for ketonuria. The development of ketonuria within 24 hours after insulin withdrawal usually indicates a poor response to the oral hypoglycemic agents. Diabetic patients who use oral hypoglycemic agents should have their urine tested regularly for glucose and ketones because oral hypoglycemic agents, unlike insulin, do not control diabetes when an acute infection or other illness develops.

In conditions associated with acidosis, urinary ketones are tested to assess the severity of acidosis and to monitor treatment response. Urine ketones appear before there is any significant increase in blood ketones.../"

It seems then that any diabetic could be affected, not just T1s.

have checked for keytones dont have any bs gonr down to 30.00 so thats something i do feel a bit crap chest feels tight everytime i cough am gonna see how i feel tomorrow and if the same will go to the walk in centre. Am going to test every hour bs and keytones see how it goes any keytones and im off to a+e Also chequed with other meter and thats the same
cheers everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear! I do hope you're feeling better and that your BG returns to normal soon 🙂

Morning Gail how are things this morning? x

have checked for keytones dont have any bs gonr down to 30.00 so thats something i do feel a bit crap chest feels tight everytime i cough am gonna see how i feel tomorrow and if the same will go to the walk in centre. Am going to test every hour bs and keytones see how it goes any keytones and im off to a+e Also chequed with other meter and thats the same
cheers everyone

Oh dear, best wishes Gail and hope you feel better x

I'm glad to hear your BS is going down again. I reckon you would be as well heading to the clinic or call NHS 24 anyway, if only to get the infection dealt with. If your chest is feeling tight get yourself some Olbas oil, put a few drops in a bowl of boiling water then get under a towel with it and breathe in the fumes for 5 minutes. That should help loosen things a bit though you may have to repeat the process a few times, especially if you're too bunged up to even smell it. I used to find a hot drink would sometimes help too, as would a nice hot steamy shower. I used to get bronchitis regularly every winter, but haven't had it for a few years now, thank heavens. I hope you feel better soon.

bs 25 this morning am going to try and get appoiment with gp tomorrow,it has to be tomorrow as i go on a weeks respite tuesday.chest doesnt feel so tight. No keytones so thats good just feel really tired didt get up untill 1130 whoops
thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back