31 per cent rise in diabetes in Lisburn in past five years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
CASES of diabetes in Lisburn have risen by 31 per cent in the last five years, it has emerged.

Diabetes UK Northern Ireland has warned of the continuing growth of diabetes in Lisburn as figures revealed the rise.

The total number of adults with diabetes aged 17 and over who are registered with GPs in Lisburn is now 3,990 compared with just 3,036 in 2007. This figure has also risen from 3,805 in 2011.

The overall number of people in Northern Ireland with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes is now 75,837; a 33% increase since 2007, and a further 1,038 young people under 17 are known to have Type 1 diabetes.

Prevalence in the Northern Ireland population is now over 4% and it is estimated that around 10,000 people are living with the condition but have not yet been diagnosed

http://www.lisburntoday.co.uk/news/...betes-in-lisburn-in-past-five-years-1-4514122

I often wonder whether some of the increased prevalence of diabetes is a reflection of the fact that we are detecting it more with increased awareness.
I wonder how this statistic compares with other towns in NI and the rest of the UK.
Wales apparently has a higher prevalence of obesity than Scotland and Northern Ireland is lower . Possibly lower than England- I can't recall.
Planning to read article later.
Northern Ireland diet I think is very starchy - having lived there for 4 years. Ex's family- very "middle class" but diet laden with bread potatoes, pasta, cereal. fruit etc and ex's Mum always whining about how hard it was to loose weight and how hungry she felt ( although she was only slightly if at all overweight) Always going on about how unhealthy low carb diets are and would turn down a smoked salmon brakfast and opt for Croissant instead ( and of course we would all be expected to have croissant and forego the salmon) She had juice from 2 oranges, porrige or cereal and two slices of toast for breakfast!. God help her if she ever developped type 2. Might just about cope with that carb load if a basal bolus controlled type one who was going for an energetic walk afterwards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back