3 months since JP was diagnosed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rspence

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi everyone -today it is exactly 3 months since JP was diagnosed type 1.

He has been a total star and despite a blip of 6 weeks recently of crying every injection time this week he's trying his best not to cry and squirm during the actual injection! I say he is entitled to cry as much as he likes after but its not helpful to be restless whilst I do it!

His last HbA1C was 9.8 and i've definitely noticed an overall change in his blood sugar levels so clinic on friday should reveal a lower result - hope so!

Funny moment: I told JP i would reward him for not wriggling at innjection time with a Thomas train. However he was mortified when I produced TOBY for him (out of my ebay stash of bargains) threw it across the room and declared loudly "THAT'S NOT THOMAS SILLY IT's TOBY now take back the insulin you put in me cos you not given me THOMAS."!!!!!!! Ah......

I'll post on here after friday to keep you all updated,

Rachel

My eldest son is not diabetic, but his treat used to be a train from the Thomas the Tank Engine series. Whenever I got the wrong one I'd say I'm sorry but the one you wanted was busy and t sent this one in his place. Worked most of the time.

How old is JP? It can't be much fun for either of you. Give him a huge hug from me for having his injections.

Result of Hba1c

Hmmm the result is still quite high - thought it would have come down more than that!

Today he was 9.2 - thats only 0.6 down from last time. Oh well heading in the right direction.

thanks for the interest in the journey of this 2 yr 3/4 m and thanks to caroline for the cunning idea for the get out of the thomas thing line.

rachel

As you say Rachel, going in the right direction! 🙂 It must be very difficult getting tight control in one so young - he must be growing fast and this will have an effect on his levels overall.

I know its hard not to be a little disheartened Rachel but think how much you've had to learn in such a short time and how much your wee star has tolerated so well. We've only managed to get Ben's down to 8.4 and its been 19mths now - next appt on the 12th and I fear things will be worse again. It sometimes infuriates me when folk say how well Ben looks all the time - as though it's really no big deal - but I guess we should be happy that we're doing well enough that our wee ones do look (and hopefully feel) good most of the time and with time hopefully our hard work will pay off. Onwards and upwards eh! (or downwards with regards hba1c hopefully🙂)

Hi, Gwen has her next appt on tuesday so hoping her Hba1c hasnt increased, it was 7.3% in april. She tolerates the 2 daily injections really well although we do have the odd bad day were shes quite tearfull. How do you guys with young children get the hba1c done?, i was asked to do it myself at home, but couldnt get enough blood for the sample so took her in to paediatric op last week to get the result ready for next week. Going to parents networking day tomorrow organised by DUK so hope that goes well!! always good to chat to fellow parentsxxx

Ruth, mum to Gwen 3 years old diagosed friday 13th november 2009 and two other non d daughters.🙂

Ben gets his done at his clinic apointment at hosp every 2-3months - the nurse does it as soon as we get there and by the time we're in seeing the consultant they've got the result.

Funny moment: I told JP i would reward him for not wriggling at innjection time with a Thomas train. However he was mortified when I produced TOBY for him (out of my ebay stash of bargains) threw it across the room and declared loudly "THAT'S NOT THOMAS SILLY IT's TOBY now take back the insulin you put in me cos you not given me THOMAS."!!!!!!! Ah......

I'll post on here after friday to keep you all updated,

Rachel

I love your child!! That sounds like something off outnumbered haha :D

I cant wait to have my own when i hear things like this want to speed up the next few months xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back