3 hypos in one day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlisonM

Much missed Moderator
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
It all kicked off after I got home from work yesterday, I felt awful and took a reading, 3.1. Had a few jelly babies and dozed off woke up around 10pm still feeling like death warmed up, 2.6. More jelly babies and up to 6.2 after two hours. Went to bed only to wake up again at 4am at 2.9. Had a jam doughnut and went back to bed at 6.2 again. Spoke to one of the doctors at the surgery and he reckons my pancreas has decided to work for a while so I should only take one Sitagliptin every other day for now, until my numbers start climbing again that is. He also told me not to get excited because it won't last and these periods of recovery will become fewer and fewer as time goes on. He's going to talk to the Surgery directors about prescribing strips so I can test if I need to. Under the circs, he says, it makes sense. The wazzock never would admit I need them.

Anyway, I'm beginning to feel a little more human again now, but do feel a bit hungover still.

poor ole ally ...not nice hunni ....still least you get to hopefully get some strips xxx..and jelly babies !😱

Alison - after a hypo, you are more prone to more hypos for the next 24 to 48 hrs. Jelly babies are great for for immediate raising of blood sugar, but you need to follow up with about 15g of some longer acting carbohydrate, like a couple of crackers or slice of bread. Hope that helps for future hypos.

Thanks Copepod, I'll remember that. Umm, do doughnuts count?:D

but you can always rest them out ??? purely for educational reasons that is ....😉:D

I'm sure doughnuts don't really count, but I admit I've used them, if hypo at home, not needing to go anywhere or do anything in particular, with a doughnut to hand. Seriously, though, they are far more than 15g CHO.

Thanks all. The doughnut was all I had to hand at the time and my brother wasn't too pleased with me for nicking it. I suppose I could have had toast, but I was a bit too dizzy to be handling appliances. I was in the house on my own as well since he was working and I didn't want to wake the neighbours.

Funny thing though, last night the dog woke me up. She was standing on my chest and barking at me. I felt a bit off, so I tested and I was 3.7 - how on earth did she know? She calmed down as soon as I woke up. It seems I have a Hypo Dog!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back