3 failed libre sensors in a row

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi. This has been quite a disturbing last day. My sensor was due to be replaced last night, that sensor was actually a replacement from Abbott for a previous failed sensor. I normally order a repeat prescription just as I'm about to use my 2nd last sensor as I've had a number of failures and have no confidence in them.

This is what happened:
sensorbrokeagain.jpg

This has happened a few times over the last 6 month.

It's annoying but I had one more left, I didn't even get this one on my arm. I pushed the applicator onto the sensor, removed it and the needle fell out:

secondbrokensensor.jpg

I had to go back to finger pricking last night. I had requested a repeat prescription at the end of last week but knew it wouldn't be ready yet so I went into boots and explained to the pharmacist who gave me another replacement, considering it's a bank holiday today and the GP's are closed.

It happened AGAIN!! This is the sensor and the mess of my arm now. You can see the adhesive is still completely stuck to my arm, I'm currently trying to clean up blood from my floors

3rdbroken.jpeg

sorearm.jpeg

My confidence in these sensors is pretty much shot now, it can only be either I am not applying them correctly (I've been using them since 2019 and only started getting this type of mechanical breakage over the last 6-8 month) or the manufacturing quality has decreased.

I'll phone the GP tomorrow when they reopen and ask for a demonstration again to make sure it's not me but it isn't a complicated procedure. Often I think it's when the applicator is inserted into the sensor pack which causes the issue. In my opinion when I went to the libre 2 from libre 1, pushing the applicator onto the sensor pack seems trickier.

Out of my last prescription of 4 sensors, 3 have failed and a replacement from boots also failed.

It's weird going back to finger pricking again :(

It's weird going back to finger pricking again
While it is weird you're getting these problems with Libre now, you could surely try one or more of the other three that can be prescribed by GPs (that are about the same cost)?

Hi. This has been quite a disturbing last day. My sensor was due to be replaced last night, that sensor was actually a replacement from Abbott for a previous failed sensor. I normally order a repeat prescription just as I'm about to use my 2nd last sensor as I've had a number of failures and have no confidence in them.

This is what happened:
View attachment 25263

It's annoying but I had one more left, I didn't even get this one on my arm. I pushed the applicator onto the sensor, removed it and the needle fell out:

View attachment 25264

I had to go back to finger pricking last night. I had requested a repeat prescription at the end of last week but knew it wouldn't be ready yet so I went into boots and explained to the pharmacist who gave me another replacement, considering it's a bank holiday today and the GP's are closed.

It happened AGAIN!! This is the sensor and the mess of my arm now. You can see the adhesive is still completely stuck to my arm, I'm currently trying to clean up blood from my floors

View attachment 25265

View attachment 25266

My confidence in these sensors is pretty much shot now, it can only be either I am not applying them correctly (I've been using them since 2019 and only started getting this type of mechanical breakage over the last 6-8 month) or the manufacturing quality has decreased.

I'll phone the GP tomorrow when they reopen and ask for a demonstration again to make sure it's not me but it isn't a complicated procedure. Often I think it's when the applicator is inserted into the sensor pack which causes the issue. In my opinion when I went to the libre 2 from libre 1, pushing the applicator onto the sensor pack seems trickier.

Out of my last prescription of 4 sensors, 3 have failed and a replacement from boots also failed.

Hi,

I've never had this or seen this before. I also noticed your sensor has some text on the rim, which none of mine have had.

Does anyone else have this text printed on the rim of their sensor?

Just in case, here is the official application video.

While it is weird you're getting these problems with Libre now, you could surely try one or more of the other three that can be prescribed by GPs (that are about the same cost)?
I think in the UK it's only the libre sensor, I will ask the GP though

Hi,

I've never had this or seen this before. I also noticed your sensor has some text on the rim, which none of mine have had.

Does anyone else have this text printed on the rim of their sensor?

Just in case, here is the official application video.

Hi. Thanks, I know you're trying to help but that's exactly what I do. When I first started used the libre sensor you get invited to a clinic with other diabetics and they show you how to apply it and watch you as you do.
I haven't changed approach since then but I am questioning if it is me.

Abbott are obviously also closed today, the last time I called to get a replacement the lady did say they have had these types of failures reported

I’d watch a YouTube video to make sure you’re putting the halves together correctly, diabetics posting videos online will have a lot more experience of applying them than your GP.

Hi. Thanks, I know you're trying to help but that's exactly what I do. When I first started used the libre sensor you get invited to a clinic with other diabetics and they show you how to apply it and watch you as you do.
I haven't changed approach since then but I am questioning if it is me.

Abbott are obviously also closed today, the last time I called to get a replacement the lady did say they have had these types of failures reported
Hi,
Then it looks like simple product failure. Only odd thing is you keep getting them. When you contact abbott they ask for the sensor product code. Sounds like you're getting them from a faulty batch.

I'd try getting them from different pharmacies and see what happens. They may use different suppliers (different batches).

I think in the UK it's only the libre sensor, I will ask the GP though
At least in England, that's not true. (Other parts of the UK have their own rules.)

There's also Dexcom One, GlucoMen Day, GlucoRx AiDEX.

Reactions: lbd
Hi,
Then it looks like simple product failure. Only odd thing is you keep getting them. When you contact abbott they ask for the sensor product code. Sounds like you're getting them from a faulty batch.

I'd try getting them from different pharmacies and see what happens. They may use different suppliers (different batches).

Hi, yes I thought the same. I live right next to boots so after putting on this last one I went back in to show the pharmacist. She can't really advise but thought my last prescription and the replacement she gave me today probably came from different batches.
The replacement I got from Abbott (which was the one that ended yesterday) was fine

This is what happened:
View attachment 25263

View attachment 25264

View attachment 25265

View attachment 25266

Hello,

I have seen this before. Not to me, but to a friend of mine. The “hole punch” (for want of a better word.)
was let go & didn’t retract into the primed the applicator mechanism.?

Hello,

I have seen this before. Not to me, but to a friend of mine. The “hole punch” (for want of a better word.)
was let go & didn’t retract into the primed the applicator mechanism.?
Hi. The applicator you mean? I should look at it before applying to my arm next time if I can see any difference. I thought the needle was always retracted before applying to the arm.
I'm certain it's the applicator itself, last year I had 2 which when applied to the arm it wouldn't free itself from the sensor, almost as if the adhesive was stuck to the applicator too. I had to really tug to get it off my arm.

Thankfully my readings are nice and steady today but I've realised how much I rely on them and how much I hate finger pricking :D

I went in to the diabetic clinic today and a very helpful nurse watched me apply another sensor, sods law as they say but it worked without any issue. She mentioned a number of patients had reported issue with their sensors but not like the issue I was having.

If it's of interest to any others in Scotland she also told me that dexcom 1 will be made available on prescription, possibly this year.
She said it's smaller however when I look online it actually looks bigger than the libre 2?

She said it's smaller however when I look online it actually looks bigger than the libre 2?
I'm not sure there's much in it. They're different shapes. (Dexcom G7 is smaller, I think. More like the size of Libre 3.)

I'm not sure there's much in it. They're different shapes. (Dexcom G7 is smaller, I think. More like the size of Libre 3.)
Thanks, I wonder if I misheard her but she also said it lasts 2 weeks, an online check says 10 days (she did mention the sensor will last for 12 weeks till that part needs replaced). I guess I'll find out soonish when they approve it

I have been using Libre/Libre 2 for about 5 years. Started self funding then managed to get them on prescription. It appears to work fine, and then have a number of fails in a row.
Put on a new libre 2 yesterday evening…….failed 30 mins after the first hour. Put another one on……once again failure without giving any readings. Both reported via the online portal. This morning put on my one remaining sensor…..another failure. I had 5 fails in a row about two years ago. Once again, i am starting to lose confidence in libre 2. I am now finger pricking until abbot manage to send replacement. does anyone know what the permitted failure rate is for flash sensors? I assume that there will be one under MHRA rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back