Status
Not open for further replies.

caroleann

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Was this a hypo if so why did i not have any symptoms.
carole

Hi Carole, not quite, although very close. Normally a non-diabetic person will be happy down to about 3.5, but they recommend that a diabetic, particularly on medication or insulin, aims to stay above 4. Whether you feel symptoms at this level will depend on how unusual it is for you - symptoms tend to show whem the levels are much lower than what you are used to.

Is this something you've just had? If so, you should have a small snack like a slice of toast or something to raise your levels a little.

Hi i thought a hypo was anything under 4 and carole is on insulin.Hope your numbers start behaving carole is it your first hypo?

offically for a diabetic anything below 4mmol/l is a hypo, as two symptons as this stage they may have been subtle ones that you didn't pick up...

How come you did a test? or was it before a meal?

Unless a T2 is taken oral medication that increase insulin production such as gliclizide, or taken insulin then this wouldn't be a dangerous low and the body should be able to level it's safe.. but if you aren't intending to eat then it better to treat it and get levels back into the 4's

But if takeing medication that increases or add insulin, then it should be treated as a hypo as there would be a danger of the blood glucose dropping futher..

But even for none diabetics, levels of 3.9 a slightly lower can make then faint or even faint, but the their body will naturally return to normal with a liver dump

Was this a hypo if so why did i not have any symptoms.
carole
Hi Carole,

I go lower than that sometimes and I've never had any hypo' symptoms whatsoever. It's nothing at all to worry about as far as I am concerned just so long as you are a Type 2 and only on diet or metformin medication. My body just compensates on its for going low by raising the level as it would in the case of a non-diabetic person. However, if you are aware that you are below 4 it does make sense to take a small snack to raise the level slightly.

It's something different altogether if you ar on insulin or certain other medications. In such cases, you need to be very much more concerned when you start to go below 4.

Best wishes - John

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies,this happened early evening i had just got back from seeing Dsn at the hospital i did walk home about 3 1/2 miles,i have had hypo's before in the 2s and had no warnings then either i have been on novorapid and levemir for about 3 weeks now plus take 2 metformin a daay.
carole

Hi i thought a hypo was anything under 4 and carole is on insulin.Hope your numbers start behaving carole is it your first hypo?

Eek! You're right Steffie - sorry Carole I had forgotten! You should definitely treat a 3.9 as a hypo on insulin, and have a couple of jelly babies to bring your levels up. A lot will depend on when you had it i.e. how soon after eating/injecting your novorapid.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies,this happened early evening i had just got back from seeing Dsn at the hospital i did walk home about 3 1/2 miles,i have had hypo's before in the 2s and had no warnings then either i have been on novorapid and levemir for about 3 weeks now plus take 2 metformin a daay.
carole

Hi Carole, you need to be very careful if you are having levels as low as the 2s. This suggests that you are having too much levemir or novorapid, or possible both. You should speak to your nurse/doctor about this as soon as you can so that you can make adjustments.

Hi Carole, you need to be very careful if you are having levels as low as the 2s. This suggests that you are having too much levemir or novorapid, or possible both. You should speak to your nurse/doctor about this as soon as you can so that you can make adjustments.

Sorry Northener im so confused think im starting to confuse everyone else think i was trying to say i have had hypo's before but this is only the second one since starting on insuling,infact dsn has increased my doses because my numbers where still way to high,for example she told me to add 1 unit if my bed time levels are 11+,2 if 14+and so on.
Im on 12 un levemir and 7,8and 9novorapid.:confused:

Sorry Northener im so confused think im starting to confuse everyone else think i was trying to say i have had hypo's before but this is only the second one since starting on insuling,infact dsn has increased my doses because my numbers where still way to high,for example she told me to add 1 unit if my bed time levels are 11+,2 if 14+and so on.
Im on 12 un levemir and 7,8and 9novorapid.:confused:

Ah! It can be very confusing to start with Carole, as you and your nurse try to find the right levels for both your insulins. Are you booked to do any sort of carb-counting course? The problem with taking the same amounts of insulin for your meals each day is that sometimes it might be too little and sometimes too much (and sometimes even if you eat the same food!). If you do extra exercise then this will also lower your BG levels, so this can be a variable you need to take into account. Make sure you always have some fast-acting sugar with you just in case! 🙂

Ah! It can be very confusing to start with Carole, as you and your nurse try to find the right levels for both your insulins. Are you booked to do any sort of carb-counting course? The problem with taking the same amounts of insulin for your meals each day is that sometimes it might be too little and sometimes too much (and sometimes even if you eat the same food!). If you do extra exercise then this will also lower your BG levels, so this can be a variable you need to take into account. Make sure you always have some fast-acting sugar with you just in case! 🙂

yep nurse is getting me in to see dietition asap,she has also told me how to do corrections if needed aswell oh i also have to see the nurse once a week now.

yep nurse is getting me in to see dietition asap,she has also told me how to do corrections if needed aswell oh i also have to see the nurse once a week now.

Good, it sounds like you are being well looked after 🙂 Do pipe up though if there's anything you're not sure of! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back