Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
An unresponsive diabetic patient with DKA
Just gone to an Ad break, but it’s fascinating, they’ve got about 4 senior medics all conferring, and they are saying it’s as much an art as a science, trying to get the body into balance again, with potassium levels, etc as well as insulin/glucose balance.

Can’t tell you how many times medicos have said “we never really know what we’re dealing with. If we did we’d call it Medical Perfect rather than medical practice.”

Blooming heck Robin! When I first saw this, I thought you had been admitted! Phew!

Pleased the person made it, but sounds like it was a close call. 2 weeks in a coma is scary! Was there any organ damage or didn't they say? Was it a new diagnosis or someone who hadn't been looking after themselves?

Blooming heck Robin! When I first saw this, I thought you had been admitted! Phew!

Pleased the person made it, but sounds like it was a close call. 2 weeks in a coma is scary! Was there any organ damage or didn't they say? Was it a new diagnosis or someone who hadn't been looking after themselves?
Me too! My stomach lurched! Glad it’s not you in A&E @Robin but that sounds really bad. Two weeks in a coma. I might try and catch up when I’m ironing later ( is that a bit ghoulish?). What channel is it on?

Me too! My stomach lurched! Glad it’s not you in A&E @Robin but that sounds really bad. Two weeks in a coma. I might try and catch up when I’m ironing later ( is that a bit ghoulish?). What channel is it on?
Oops, sorry, both!
It’s Channel 4. I’ve been hooked on the series for years, it’s one of the better 'Fly on the wall' ones.
They mentioned it was a new diagnosis, and I think that because the family had little English, they’d left it longer to seek help when she became very ill. The programme just covers the period while they are in A and E, and cuts between several stories throughout the programme, so by the end you see them being moved to a ward, but then never see any medical follow up. But right at the end they always tell you the outcome, and it showed her sitting chatting round her kitchen table looking perfectly well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back