24 hour bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monica

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Oh noo, after dealing well with Diabetes, C ended up in hospital yesterday

C caught the 24 hour bug. After I picked her up from school, her blood was 3, ketones 0. Gave her coke, but she didn't want it. Half an hour later she was still only 3.1. I tried to give her glucogel as she didn't want anything else, but that made her throw up. Feeling better she ate 3 glucotabs. 30 min later she was still only 3.6, but didn't want anything else. Rang the DSN, who asked the consultant. He told us to go to hospital. There she was 5.3. I assumed she'd get a glucose and saline drip due to her not eating and drinking. But after 3 hours there (5pm) they gave her an anti sick injection. This made her able to eat and drink.

We assumed we had to stay the night, so my husband brought us some things. He and my other daughter left at 8.30. 10 minutes later the new doc came and told us that C could go home after she'd had her levemir at nine!!!! This was decided at 5pm, but nobody bothered to tell us.
We were not impressed, but otherwise care was good.

Today, we are all a bit tired, but C is on the mend, lazying on the sofa watching TV all day.

Poor thing :( Glad that she didn't have to stay long in hospital. It must have scared you, I hope that she feels back to her old self soon 🙂 x

And how are you? Sounds as if things were hectic for a while.

Here's hoping it only hangs around the 24 hours and things can get back to normal for you.

I'm fine now thanks, yes it was stressful knowing I couldn't bring her out of her hypo despite the fact she wasn't very low, but still worrying whether she'd go even lower.

When we got back at 10pm I had to tidy the house, as I had been out ( was planning to do it when I got home at 12) when I got the call and never got round to doing any of it. After that I just had a little cry.

I also tested her at 2am, she was 20!!!! But she came down to 11.1 at 9am. Phew what a relief. She was 7.4 at lunchtime. So I'd say it's back to normal.

My younger daughter is extremely tired as I had to wake her to go to school.

I hope everyone is OK now, what a rotten day. Shame you could't have been told at 5pm or soon after you could go home, it would have been nicer for all of you.

I'm happy to say, C has gone back to school. She was Ok yesterday, but I wanted her to stay home just to be on the safe side.

Anyway, I actually don't know the rule at her school about returning after being sick, but at her sister's school they are not allowed back for 48 hours after the last time they threw up. So if her school is the same, she should have stayed home today too!! But they are not doing much today anyway, they are having a swimming gala (she's only a spectator).

I'm just relieved all is back to normal and hope this never happens again (I can dream, can't I? 🙄)

It's great to hear C is better. There have been a lot of bugs around.

Most of the schools I know like the kids to saty off for 48 hours after being sick, and I know a couple of schools that like proof you have been seen by a doctor too!

Great to hear C is back at school hugs xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back