22.2 this morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmal31

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yesterday evening I started sneezing and have now got a runny nose and a sore throat that feel like sandpaper :( I'm feeling really sorry for myself. Also had a 1.9 in the night which was horrible I could barely see because of the huge spots in front of my eyes.I treated it correctly this time and waited the 10 minutes before checking it again and eating my biscuit. Then I wake up this morning and it's 22.2 😱 so I'm not sure if that's because of a rebound or because I'm ill....:confused: Usually when i've been ill since diagnosis it doesn't tend to affect my levels too much so I'm stumped. Any suggestions???

Also I'm not quite sure what to do with my lantus tonight whether i should put it up a few units? or should I leave it and just correct when necessary? I really should know all this by now but I just wanted to get advice from the experts so I don't end up doing the wrong thing and feel even worse because of it.

Thank you.

Emma x

Sorry you are feeling so rough. I suspect that the high this morning is a combination of the rebound effect and your illness. 1.9 is quite low and there is a bit of a delay before the liver cuts in. The test results you get during the day may help you work out the answer.

I was told not to change my basal whilst ill - just to do corrections.
Make sure you are testing for ketones at that level too, and make sure you are getting lots of fluids.

Thanks margie for replying.That's what I thought too. I just tested and it's now 8.2 so haven't checked for ketones but I'm drinking lots of fluids x

Although you did right in correcting your 1.9 hypo, your body would have already kicked in and released some glucose, so with the combination of the two would have led to your morning reading of 22.2. Sometimes we can over-correct hypo's and eat to much, but this is easy to do when you are confused and shaking in the middle of the night. When ill, bg do rise, and the best way to overcome this is to test and correct at each mealtime. You may find instead of needing 1 unit of insulin per 10g of carbs for example, you may need to up it to 1.5 units, only by continuous testing can you establish how your illness is effecting your control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back