20, 30, 40 winks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas DUK

Supporter Care Advisor
Hi All,

Does anyone here struggle to get a full nights sleep? ME TOO! Well, that was until I got my Fitbit a couple months ago. It's sleeping features allow me to track my sleep and better understand what's keeping me up at night. I thought I'd share some insights. Though these are unlikely to be news to lots of people

1. When I drink alcohol I sleep badly. This was the hardest change for me to implement but it made the biggest difference by far. It doesn't seem to matter how much I drink. Even a glass of wine in the hours before I go to sleep has me falling asleep faster, but I get less deep sleep and I always wake in the middle of the night.
2. If I eat late, I suck at getting out of bed in the morning. I very often eat late, but on the handful of days I've managed to avoid doing this, I wake feeling hungry which is enough to make getting out of bed SO much easier.
3. Locking my door means I wake up less. Fitbit shows how many times you wake up in the night, even if it's so brief you don't notice. For the first month or so of using it, it reported I was waking up several times every hour. I live in shared housing. My housemates are lovely, so I normally leave my bedroom door unlocked. One night though I had a reason to lock my bedroom, so I did. That night was the first night I slept for more than 100 minutes without waking, and woke only a QUARTER of the times I usually wake in the night. As I result, I've locked my door every night since and my sleep has dramatically improved because of it.

These simple changes have increased my quality of life more than I can express. Does anyone have any tips for sleeping well at night?

I've never had a problem with sleeping since I was a doctor on call working in hospitals. You sleep when you can, and I have never lost the ability to sleep as soon as I lie down, and the ability to wake up when my sensor sends me an alarm. If that doesn't happen, I usually sleep for 9 hours.

Always been good sleeper, can be in bed by 9 -10 some nights now & not get up till 6-7am, that device sounds good value for money & locking door is sensible thing to do.

That's good to hear! @mikeyB, I've heard airforce guys learn the same skills as part of their basic training. Is it just the exhaustion that got you into the habit of sleeping well?

@nonethewiser, I've found it a really useful thing to have. There's options to log your food intake too, and it detects when you do exercise. Good one for all of us I reckon!

I too sleep really well and can usually sleep any time of day or night. I too spent 15 years working rotating shifts in the Police, so you do tend to learn to sleep when you can, but I was always a good sleeper even before that. I went through a really bad phase of not sleeping well during the menopause due to hot sweats and needing the loo and it was absolute torture for me.... far worse than working shifts.
I find I sleep deepest and most restfully after exercise and when my BG levels are around the 4mmol mark all night. If my levels are above 8 I am restless and above 10 I will wake up and inject a correction although my upper alarm is now set at 9.2 to prevent it getting that high most of the time. If my levels drop a bit low and low alarm goes off, I can wake up, make a decision on how many JBs I need, munch on it/them and be back to deep sleep under a minute. I am afraid I am naughty and don't stay awake to retest at 15mins. I know I will wake up again and eat more JBs if I need to. Same with high levels, as long as I don't put the light on and finger prick, I can decide on a correction, dial it up, inject it and be back to sleep within 2 minutes. (Libre and insuin pens sleep under my pillow with me. I love Libre for allowing me not to need to put the light on and fiddle with finger pricks and test strips and if I am at my partners house, it would mean going into the bathroom to put the light on, so as not to disturb him. Not needing to put a light on or get up to finger prick means I don't need to fully wake up and can therefore be straight back to sleep. Love, love LOVE Libre for facilitating this.

That's good to hear! @mikeyB, I've heard airforce guys learn the same skills as part of their basic training. Is it just the exhaustion that got you into the habit of sleeping well?

@nonethewiser, I've found it a really useful thing to have. There's options to log your food intake too, and it detects when you do exercise. Good one for all of us I reckon!

Sounds good, really do need to catch up on latest tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back