2 Months Today

Neens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I noticed today that there are several posts from members who are marking 2 years with T2D. @Brando77 & @Eddy Edson - I'm looking at you! So I feel a little bit silly posting this now as it doesn't seem like such a milestone day... but it is, for me.

The truth is the time has flown (may have had something to do with Christmas in the middle)! I have managed to lose a stone just before the 2 months and I possibly have about the same to go again. I am not entirely sure of the maths/conversion but when I worked it out the total BMI/Weight I need to lose is lower than the 15kg that gets bandied around for possible remission. Obviously that is our electric dream - and reality I see for many forum members, but I have learnt our bodies do a lot without our permission and sometimes despite of all the good you do etc. So I am just holding out for a life without complications for as long as I can and if I manage to get out of Diabetic range then wonderful, but only 5% of people manage it. Not sure of that statistic anymore after all the success stories I have read here - unless you all are that 5%! ;)

My BG is down from 17 to 4.9 - 6.9 and I feel less tired.

Again - I want to echo others who have posted - this forum and the people in it have really helped me over this past 5 weeks. It is a great source of education, comfort and support and I really appreciate having you all at my slightly-over-pricked-fingertips...

Gratitude, sent.
:):)

Last edited:

Brando77

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Keep up the good work! It's really worth it, you'll feel so good! :)

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
If it is your after eating numbers which are below 7 then you have probably got a very good chance of seeing a lower than diabetic Hba1c in a few weeks - assuming that you have a test scheduled for around the 3 month mark.

zoombapup

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Keep at it Neens, I'm about 13 weeks in at this point and have BG pretty much under control, but I've got a long way to go still. I'm at about 1.5 stone weight loss on low carb diet. But getting ready for the Newcastle now. After my scary time in hospital, there's a ton of motivation. But in reality I needed something to push my life into a correction anyway. This gives me an excuse for some self reflection and its that I needed more than anything. Everyone here has been so informative and helpful, which I'm grateful for. It's great knowing other people are facing challenges and overcoming them too.

Funnily enough, I've been able to do a lot more fun stuff since being diagnosed because I don't feel as terrible anymore. I have signed up to a bunch of things that I would have ignored before. So I guess there's a silver lining there.

Neens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2

Neens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
If it is your after eating numbers which are below 7 then you have probably got a very good chance of seeing a lower than diabetic Hba1c in a few weeks - assuming that you have a test scheduled for around the 3 month mark.
Thanks, Drummer. Yes the numbers are from fasting tests, after meals and sometimes before bed. I have the occasional pseudo hypo (I know they are not possible on metaformin) but as people say they don't feel any less unreal. I used to test BG just to be sure it hadn't altered and often when I am flaking my levels are around 5 and okay. I have the test scheduled for the 3 month mark and slightly wishing partner's birthday and Valentine's didn't fall before the next test but not planning on breaking the eating plan so shouldn't make too much of an impact next week.

Neens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Keep at it Neens, I'm about 13 weeks in at this point and have BG pretty much under control, but I've got a long way to go still. I'm at about 1.5 stone weight loss on low carb diet. But getting ready for the Newcastle now. After my scary time in hospital, there's a ton of motivation. But in reality I needed something to push my life into a correction anyway. This gives me an excuse for some self reflection and its that I needed more than anything. Everyone here has been so informative and helpful, which I'm grateful for. It's great knowing other people are facing challenges and overcoming them too.

Funnily enough, I've been able to do a lot more fun stuff since being diagnosed because I don't feel as terrible anymore. I have signed up to a bunch of things that I would have ignored before. So I guess there's a silver lining there.
Thanks. Glad to hear you have BG under control - just read your Waking Reading post about graphs and spelling out H e l p - made me chuckle! ;)
Congrats on your weight loss, I have used low carb. I keep reading about the Newcastle diet but am scared to change something that is working for me - although the other day I read some scary things about the dangers of the LC methods so now I am a bit concerned. Self reflection time always seems to come from a crisis point for me, but that is a silver lining on something dark. Glad you're finding those silver linings too.

Yes, we are certainly not alone with this one!

Thanks for the message.

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thanks, Drummer. Yes the numbers are from fasting tests, after meals and sometimes before bed. I have the occasional pseudo hypo (I know they are not possible on metaformin) but as people say they don't feel any less unreal. I used to test BG just to be sure it hadn't altered and often when I am flaking my levels are around 5 and okay. I have the test scheduled for the 3 month mark and slightly wishing partner's birthday and Valentine's didn't fall before the next test but not planning on breaking the eating plan so shouldn't make too much of an impact next week.
I found that a warm drink would often help with the feeling of being hypo. I did find that three grapes would fix it too - on the first day when it kept happening, soon after diagnosis, but then decided that it was just feeding the habit and looked for alternatives. As I felt cold as well as lightheaded, a mug of coffee with cream was what I settled on. That was when I found that tea had begun to taste strange, about a week after starting the Metformin tablets. I must try tea to see if I can enjoy it again - it was the first strange thing I noticed and it has lingered for a long time.

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
What are they blaming low carb for now?

Neens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
What are they blaming low carb for now?
Oh, I was going to get round to writing a post/question.
My LC so far has been dropped to under 40g (I know people do lower) and for a few days I was really suffering with stomach pains and headaches, which in part (stomach) could be metaformin but started looking online...
Gallstones, elevated cholesterol (mine is high & being tested, came down but still high & that was from onset of diagnosis) Keto rash, Gout

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I stick to less than 40 gm of carbs a day, and have not had any stomach pains or headaches due to dehydration since stopping the Metformin.
Gallstones form when there is little fat in the diet. Fat causes the gallbladder to contract and expel its fluid. When the fluid remains unused, stones form.
Cholesterol is required to move fat in the bloodstream - so if you are losing weight or are moving fat around - changing shape, for instance, cholesterol levels rise.
Keto rash? Why would being in ketosis bring on a rash? There is a rash associated with Metformin.
Gout is the accumulation of uric acid crystals in joints - why it would be the result of ketosis I am unsure. Diets such as Atkins encourage the drinking of water - which ought to reduce the amount of uric acid in the body.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Although the way Metformin it should not cause hypos, but some people do report getting hypos on it.

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
2 days 2 months 2 years 2 decades it matters not, well done Neens on progress so far.

zoombapup

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Yeah, I think apart from the sort of "keto flu" that people seem to experience, the evidence of so many diabetics seeing improvements on low carb diets is pretty compelling. It really doesn't have to be "keto" of course, I'm not even sure what my carb intake is, aside from it being a lot lot lower than it used to be. I think a reasonable approach generally if you are not too overweight is to just eat reduced carb meals and replace with veggies where you can. I'm a bit of a special case in that I've got more weight to lose, but once I've done that to my satisfaction, I think I can maintain using the low carb approach I'm currently doing forever pretty much. At least that's the plan.

Neens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Although the way Metformin it should not cause hypos, but some people do report getting hypos on it.
Thanks Grovesy, I know it isn't the tablets causing the false hypos, because of the regulation (taking metaformin) it means it isn't possible to get such a low dip in the BG that I go to hypo - but false hypos happen, mainly from having a body that was used to 17+ BG now working on less.
Fortunately I have only had a few since diagnosis, only 2 were terrible.
I did used to feel flaky a lot (before diagnosis) and this was always from lack of food - no wonder because when I ate my carb-heavy western diet my BG would rise massively high so anytime I was without food my BG was probably still high but my body thought otherwise.
They are not something I am overly concerned about, but thank you for your post/clarification. :)

Neens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I found that a warm drink would often help with the feeling of being hypo. I did find that three grapes would fix it too - on the first day when it kept happening, soon after diagnosis, but then decided that it was just feeding the habit and looked for alternatives. As I felt cold as well as lightheaded, a mug of coffee with cream was what I settled on. That was when I found that tea had begun to taste strange, about a week after starting the Metformin tablets. I must try tea to see if I can enjoy it again - it was the first strange thing I noticed and it has lingered for a long time.
I keep reading about people taking coffee with cream (I am a coffee fiend) and love a creamy one but haven't yet treated myself. It's nice to discover things I can have that to me feel like a treat. A reward for all this lifestyle overhaul! ;) This is a good idea as I don't always want to eat after feeling like this - however also wouldn't trust myself with boiling water! I haven't bought grapes since diagnosis - used to eat fruit all the time, at every meal and grapes were a go to snack (despite knowing they were fructose heavy), I can see they would work well in this situation but I would end up with the whole bunch! :oops:

Fortunately I haven't found anything tasting strange because of the meds, I have discovered that I quite like sprouts and cabbage (not together) and these would have appeared on my -least favourite vegetable list before!

Neens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I stick to less than 40 gm of carbs a day, and have not had any stomach pains or headaches due to dehydration since stopping the Metformin.
Gallstones form when there is little fat in the diet. Fat causes the gallbladder to contract and expel its fluid. When the fluid remains unused, stones form.
Cholesterol is required to move fat in the bloodstream - so if you are losing weight or are moving fat around - changing shape, for instance, cholesterol levels rise.
Keto rash? Why would being in ketosis bring on a rash? There is a rash associated with Metformin.
Gout is the accumulation of uric acid crystals in joints - why it would be the result of ketosis I am unsure. Diets such as Atkins encourage the drinking of water - which ought to reduce the amount of uric acid in the body.
Huge thanks, Drummer. :)
I think half this stuff is made up by people pushing other things. I have had a gallstone so I know it isn't that - as that pain doesn't disappear. I just adjusted my food intake a little and found it helped. My lifestyle is a varied energy expenditure so depends what I am tasked with to how much of the cals I will be burning off and without intention a few of my very low carb days (20/33/) were busy days/physically demanding. So that could have been it. I am always trying to drink more water but have at least 1.5 litres a day on average.
I couldn't see a pattern (food diary) with the chosen foods and effects so can't see I need to avoid anything I ate.

With low carb I started on the DUK recommended 130g and then dropped down to 100. From there I went to days where it was 70/80 and from there dropped to 50 with some days still closer to 80. Now I don't have the carbs in mind as much as the meals. Now I know how to and what to. So I tot up throughout the day but only grand total at bedtime. Some days are food filled and come in low if I have used eggs/meats etc. other times higher if I have had porridge oats* etc. My DN recommended (fibre) that I have 1 slice of wholemeal a week and I do look forward to that half a sandwich - but breads are of course heavy, even low carb so that day is always higher.

* just 25g plain (12.5 carbs) and long lasting energy for the busy morning days!

Thanks for making my mind more restful. I am perfectly fine (apart from being diabetic).

Neens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
2 days 2 months 2 years 2 decades it matters not, well done Neens on progress so far.
Thanks, nonethewiser - it is true - all relative and when it is you/your story it is important, right?! Thought it was worth celebrating as I stuck with T2D. :)

Neens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Yeah, I think apart from the sort of "keto flu" that people seem to experience, the evidence of so many diabetics seeing improvements on low carb diets is pretty compelling. It really doesn't have to be "keto" of course, I'm not even sure what my carb intake is, aside from it being a lot lot lower than it used to be. I think a reasonable approach generally if you are not too overweight is to just eat reduced carb meals and replace with veggies where you can. I'm a bit of a special case in that I've got more weight to lose, but once I've done that to my satisfaction, I think I can maintain using the low carb approach I'm currently doing forever pretty much. At least that's the plan.
Similar plan here - as I am still losing weight and need to nothing is a problem - I have always found maintaining hard and I know this has to be a lifestyle change for life, especially if I am lucky enough to get back to remission - I think I will just readjust the balance on it and put carbs up a little (but good ones from veg etc.) I have a few treat foods which I was including to begin with (as coming off a year of bad/junk eating/ etc.) I decided to limit these (they are only 5-13g carbs and are things like pea snacks/biscuit (singular)/dry roasted peanuts etc.) all 'allowed' but not necessary. I guess when I am in maintaining as far as weight goes I will be able to add them back on a few days. The occasional biscuit would be divine! Mmmmmmm....:D