2 hours after testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonia93

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
:confused:

i've had the same problem for what seems like forever now.
if i test my blood 2 hours after putting insulin in, my pump is still syaing i have normally around half the insulin left to actually go into my system properly which then means my blood reading is too high.

for example
test before lunch = 6.5 (4 units of insulin)
test two hours later = 14.00 (telling me i have 2.5 units of insulin left)

i use an accu-chek spirit combo pump and just wondered if anybody else had the same type of problem and knew how to control it?

this also prevents me from testing throughout the night as much, as i don't have dinner until around half 8 so my first test can't be done until say 11ish then i'm up for sixth form at 6am and with all the exams atm i need to try and get a good nights sleep :(

sorry for the ramble :(

maybe dose up a little longer before you normally eat..........this would help on MDI, but I couldn't comment on the dual wave and other magical functions that can be used on their own and together to combat these things with a pump....

but i do know that a pump can eliminate spikes like that if you can get it right..

Sorry but this is quick one as off to school.

You should try bolusing 20 minutes before you eat. The insulin needs to start working before the food starts working so 20 minutes is the optimum time. However some find 10 minutes better and some find 30 minutes better. The spike will be less. You can give yourself a correction bolus at that 2 hour mark regardless of how much active you have on board but only if you follow your pumps wizard if you have that set up. The pump will automatically take into account the active and will work out that using your settings in your pump how much more you need to correct the 14 odd spike along with the active.

Does that make sense?

Obviously I have to say that I am not a medical professional and you should always ask your medical team. 🙂

Not all pumps measure BoB the same, do they? For example some include corrections too, some exclude them ....

Firstly what bolus are you using?

You can test at any time, under normal MDI testing the assumption is that at 2 hour mark you would hit the highest spike, and used about 80% of your insulin and that the other 20% of insulin will reduce your BG by a small amount over the next 2-3 hours..

This is pretty similar to the pump if your background is set correctly, and you've did a standard bolus..

What you need to do, is work out if this is a spike and what happens afterwards by taking the an hour, two hour test, then one at 3 and 4 hours this will guide you to whether you need to bring the bolus forward a bit to avoid spiking and an helpful guide to best bolus to use or what split on the multiwave etc..

It might be that you may have to adjust some of your settings for the bolus wizard.. But get your basic information first on the straight bolus and go from there..

:confused:

i've had the same problem for what seems like forever now.
if i test my blood 2 hours after putting insulin in, my pump is still syaing i have normally around half the insulin left to actually go into my system properly which then means my blood reading is too high.

for example
test before lunch = 6.5 (4 units of insulin)
test two hours later = 14.00 (telling me i have 2.5 units of insulin left)

i use an accu-chek spirit combo pump and just wondered if anybody else had the same type of problem and knew how to control it?

this also prevents me from testing throughout the night as much, as i don't have dinner until around half 8 so my first test can't be done until say 11ish then i'm up for sixth form at 6am and with all the exams atm i need to try and get a good nights sleep :(

sorry for the ramble :(

How about doing some basal testing at the weekend? :D
This will probably earn me a slapped wrist for this tip.........
If you are not sure which is out basal or bolus, then bolus for the meal in question then test your blood sugar again just before you eat. Thus your insulin has had 10/15/20 mins to start working. If no dip in blood sugar then you know your basal is out. Same as you will know if blood sugar goes up.

Last edited:
How about doing some basal testing at the weekend? :D
This will probably earn me a slapped wrist for this tip.........
If you are not sure which is out basal or bolus, then bolus for the meal in question then test your blood sugar again just before you eat. Thus your insulin has had 10/15/20 mins to start working. If no dip in blood sugar then you know your basal is out.

That's interesting, hadn't thought of that one. There are studies which should that 20 minutes before eating is the best time to bolus, not 10 and not 30 but 20 minutes.

However as we all know everyone is different. The insulin needs to start working before the food starts working so I guess a good experiment to find what is the best time for you ('you' as in everyone) is to bolus and then test every 5 mins and as soon as starting to go down the idea time for you to start eating would be 5 mins before it starts going down as food isn't generally instant except quick acting but then that can take some minutes.

Interesting stuff.

Hi

Found your thread interesting as we have been having similar problems with 2 year old, 2 hrs post breakfast, she is using the paradigm veo pump. We have experimented with basal rate which didn't help, then reduced her carb ratio a little and have been utilising the dual bolus as some foods are spiking her where others don't so much. Have you tried prolonging the bolus over couple of hrs?
Her pump displays the active insulin still left in her system following the bolus(she is programmed at 5 hrs) so sometimes if we try to bolus her when spiking the pump won't let us and quite rightly as she has had good pre lunch readings after this so we would have only made her have a hypo! This is how we came to conclusion that it must be the food with her that she is sensitive to.

Hope you suss out your problem soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back